Author Topic: 2017 Progress Reports  (Read 15339 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: 2017 Progress Reports
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 09:06:42 »
Well today is planting out day for me - the poly is full of trays so the beetroot and some cabbages have to get planted out to make way for the next batch of seedlings. 
No disasters so far this year although the chickens found a tray of turnips and demolished the lot of them.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2017, 19:20:02 »
took some pics of my sweet peppers today in my cold greenhouse
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 15:39:29 »
made a new summer border at the allotment today 40 pot marigolds art shades ,20 cornflower black ball  and 60 dahlias i have put tomatoes there in the past however the fruit trees  are taking a lot out of the soil so decided to make it into a flower border  cant wait for summer to see what it looks like

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2017, 16:04:55 »
as said on another thread planted out my chillies today they had a great root system this one is scotch bonnet red

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2017, 16:22:21 »
everything bar  (pathetic T&M} begonia plugs are finally out today.  I did the slug nematodes last week and the ground is moist so its a good time to plant out. I even put courgettes out but under temporary net cages and so far so good after four days. Runner beans out today, behind a windbreak. I am not growing squash or cucs this year and any tomatoes will be at home, they are still in small pots waiting for the first flowers. I noticed that a neighbour has rampant leek moth, so no point putting leeks out, may well just bung them in a bucket at home. Its awfully slow up there, seed germination is lagging this year and so is weed germination. Hoeing is easy for now

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2017, 15:20:24 »
put my sticks in to support my dahlias  hope they get that high  they look  well after planting them yesterday

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2017, 18:59:10 »
grannies bonnet came out to play today they are a wonderful flower

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2017, 16:37:20 »
Update:

I seem to be well in advance of previous years this year,  possibly by as much as 2-3 weeks which I put down to the mild virtually non-existent winter.

In my pre-retirement days my "planting out" date was the nearest weekend to May 14th which often coincided with 'Whitsuntide' plus the late frost were unlikely, this year (tongue in cheek) I planted out much sooner.

This was the state of play this morning ( sorry for the quality of the pictures ---the weather was overcast and I only had my phone camera with me which shakes like hell when I use it)

My Tomatoes & Cucumbers and some early lettuce in the 12x8

A couple of beds in the 28x8 (Tomatoes,Carrots & Peppers)

More Peppers in the 28x8

My new Strawberry bed

Garlic in my old Strawberry bed

A few bits and pieces in the coldframe some of which I will plant out next week

Pumpkins on the compost heap, the empty pots are for the courgettes

Potatoes ready for ridging

Potatoes a half hour later

Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage

1st Batch of Cauli & Calabrese, 2nd batch in cold frame

Because I grow hybrids which all tend to mature together I make successional sowings to spread my cropping season.

Peppers and Cucumber in 8x6

I am fitting in a crop of Cobra climbing french beans in rings which will be harvsested and removed before the peppers need the space.

My seed sown Onions

Gone off setts this year because they have been a bit rubbish in the last few years.

My Chrysanthemum bed

My Gladioli bed

Seems to be a lot of chickweed about this year looks like I will have to get the hoe out

Next job is to give my herbaceous border a facelift, weather permitting will try and complete it this weekend!

If any of you are growing similar crops I would be interested to hear/see how they are progressing so that I can compare notes!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2017, 17:15:10 »
Update:

I seem to be well in advance of previous years this year,  possibly by as much as 2-3 weeks which I put down to the mild virtually non-existent winter.

In my pre-retirement days my "planting out" date was the nearest weekend to May 14th which often coincided with 'Whitsuntide' plus the late frost were unlikely, this year (tongue in cheek) I planted out much sooner.

This was the state of play this morning ( sorry for the quality of the pictures ---the weather was overcast and I only had my phone camera with me which shakes like hell when I use it)

My Tomatoes & Cucumbers and some early lettuce in the 12x8

A couple of beds in the 28x8 (Tomatoes,Carrots & Peppers)

More Peppers in the 28x8

My new Strawberry bed

Garlic in my old Strawberry bed

A few bits and pieces in the coldframe some of which I will plant out next week

Pumpkins on the compost heap, the empty pots are for the courgettes

Potatoes ready for ridging

Potatoes a half hour later

Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage

1st Batch of Cauli & Calabrese, 2nd batch in cold frame

Because I grow hybrids which all tend to mature together I make successional sowings to spread my cropping season.

Peppers and Cucumber in 8x6

I am fitting in a crop of Cobra climbing french beans in rings which will be harvsested and removed before the peppers need the space.

My seed sown Onions

Gone off setts this year because they have been a bit rubbish in the last few years.

My Chrysanthemum bed

My Gladioli bed

Seems to be a lot of chickweed about this year looks like I will have to get the hoe out

Next job is to give my herbaceous border a facelift, weather permitting will try and complete it this weekend!

If any of you are growing similar crops I would be interested to hear/see how they are progressing so that I can compare notes!

early lettuce here on the sunshine coast had outdoor lettuce for the last 2 weeks early spuds early carrots  spring onions had a full day today on the plots planted out my butternuts planted second wave of lettuce and beetroot have harvested golfball size this week mums are balling up nicely  outdoor toms just coming into flower  courgettes about to flower harvested some strawberries and gooseberries however only the latter made it home this weekend sowing winter cabbage  swede and planting out some leeks   in the cut flower bed dahlias are all through some in bud had heavy rain the last 2  nights over  3" last night planted out the pumpkin house must hand weed my parsnips  a very good germination rate around 99%  all my runner beans are planted as are the  french climbing next week will direct sow dwarf french plant celeriac then its just the sweetcorn a little late as had a germination  problem so had to reset they are up around a inch so a couple of weeks  so its been a very busy time  will take some pics the weekend the trouble is file size for me can only post one pic per post however i must say your pics are great have a great weekend hope to compare by monday sunday daughter has a netball tournament

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 17:39:47 »
will take some pics the weekend the trouble is file size for me can only post one pic per post however i must say your pics are great

Do as I do open a free 'Photobucket' or Flickr account then file size and numbers will not be a problem, or at least it shouldn't be!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 17:41:18 by Tee Gee »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2017, 17:17:49 »
cabbages hearting up nicely

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2017, 17:22:54 »
my later sown lettuce  and parsnips   

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 17:37:12 »
early carrots been harvesting for 3 weeks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2017, 16:32:57 »
peaches are coming along nicely about the size of a pingpong ball at the mo looks like the anti leaf curl device 1A has done its job plans are in place for next years improved device the 2A

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2017, 15:18:54 »
finished planting out my patio seating area on my plot this morning thought id share it with you all

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2017, 16:52:22 »
Very purty I have just made a base for a new greenhouse which can double for a sitting area for the time being.

Trouble is  I don't have the time to SIT DOWN what with refurbishing my garden at home and planting out at the allotment.

Things are being made worse with this dry weather as my young plants and transplanted perennials are suffering.

As I have mentioned many times before I don't believe in watering stuff outdoors, I usually water stuff under cover or in containers the rest is in the lap of the gods!

But even I have had to relent slightly from the norm due to the lack of rain although the forecast in my area for tomorrow is rain all day.

I am having a day off tomorrow going to get a wet inside as I am going to watch the playoff final on the big screen in my local.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2017, 17:09:53 »
best of luck tomorrow  it hardly ever rains here on the sunshine coast that is the reason we need a seating area we are so  bl@!"%&* knackered after all the watering and i only water tomatoes beans and the plants in the  greenhouses but its still 3 hrs of pumping water by  hand the grass needs cutting 3 times a week so a nice place to sit and relax after all that is essential  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2017, 18:03:16 »
well done tg your team will be at wembley again next season when they play us the mighty spurs anyway back to allotment talk my apricots are swelling nicely in the sunshine

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2017, 11:12:56 »
cabbages hearting up nicely

What variety are they?  My "Surprise" are doing well and should be nice and early.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2017, 11:26:09 »
Love peas - and they are starting to come thick and fast now.  So yummy.

Picture shows the large mangetout 'Eat Me' from the seed circle and 'Amish Snap' a superbly sweet and early snap pea.  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal