Author Topic: 2017 Progress Reports  (Read 15340 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: 2017 Progress Reports
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 19:46:38 »
Ready for planting out next month

Took advantage of the weather over the last couple of days and prepared my allotment for planting out as you can see here:

Looking up the plot from two directions:

The Fruit & Garlic beds

Some stuff coming on in the cool greenhouse, will put them in cold frame possibly next week:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 21:01:38 »
looking good tg still think your around 3 weeks behind us here on the sunshine coast my glads are 5" high in the flower border planting peppers&chillis into their final places next weekend  lettuce beetroot  all in finale slots parsnips all up cabbages 4" high all hardened ready to plant same as leeks calabrese and this season spring onions are ready for harvest its been so mild i think the plot will be empty by july lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 14:34:40 »
another fantastic day here on the sunshine coast got to the plot 6:30 this morning in shorts and tee shirt   the only down side we have had no rain for 4 weeks  so spent the first part of the morning watering  the plots are looking lush with spring growth its a great time of year

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 15:08:59 »
tg still think your around 3 weeks behind

That's a coincidence Johnny that fits in with my Frost Zone chart I produced in 1999

see here: http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Frost%20zones/Frost%20Zones.htm

(click on the map to enlarge it)

It shows your area with a value of 17 and my area with a value of 21 a difference of 4 weeks.

I have had a gut feeling over the last few years that " Global Warming" has affected our climate by a bout a week so this would fit in with your prediction of 3 Weeks.

Is this a coincidence or not?  :glasses9:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 16:00:13 »
tg still think your around 3 weeks behind

That's a coincidence Johnny that fits in with my Frost Zone chart I produced in 1999

see here: http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Frost%20zones/Frost%20Zones.htm

(click on the map to enlarge it)

It shows your area with a value of 17 and my area with a value of 21 a difference of 4 weeks.

I have had a gut feeling over the last few years that " Global Warming" has affected our climate by a bout a week so this would fit in with your prediction of 3 Weeks.

Is this a coincidence or not?  :glasses9:

how strange i just went by the pics you posted we are set for a few chilli nights next week so should slow the growth down a little no frost forecast  of the hardier type of veg all i have left to plant out  early savoy ,primo 2 and broccoli      lettuce ,beetroot,caulli , greyhound, cabbice and filderkruat all in peaches  and apricots size of a pea now ther are really romping on wall flowers are going great guns took this pick this morning from my patio plot to the fruit plot will uncover the cut flower bed this week  weed and feed it  then sit back (as if) and watch it grow lol

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 16:52:34 »
I may plant my early potatoes the week after Easter subject to the weather.

I was talking to a 'newbie' on the plot the other day and we were talking about the weather (among other things) and I came  up with a new expression and that was: This is "Temptation Weather" we are experiencing at the moment and I also mentioned that my planting out time was usually mid May, and that I won't be tempted by a bit of sunshine!

In my younger day I generally planted out at " Whitsuntide" which has been replaced by the Spring Bank Holiday which is slightly later.

Then if last year is anything to go by May was quite cold! i.e. it seemed to have swapped places with a normal April.

Based on that I will decide as time and the weather progresses

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 14:02:19 »
finished the pumpkin house today just got to put the cover on will do that next week

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 17:28:26 »
put my femspot cucumbers into their greenhouse today my small leantoo one  bottomless pots into growbags

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 16:48:40 »
Its been nearly two weeks since I showed my progress some stuff developing very slowly yet other stuff is coming along quite nicely!

Plot 19 ready for planting but have not seen hide or hair of the two ladies who wanted to share it with me????

I planted up the 2nd bed from the bottom with Potatoes yesterday!

My Cherry tree blossoming:

The Tomatoes coming along nicely in my heated greenhouse :

More tomatoes but Chillis not performing as well as I would like :(

Sweet Peppers a bit slow but should be ready for my normal planting out time in mid-May

Overwintered Pelargoniums

Fuchsia on top shelf and bedding plants on lower shelves:

More Fuchsia and a few bedding plants:

Inside the greenhouse:

Some potted Tulips:

The Heather bed and Trellis with Magnolia & Camellia in flower.

The Rockery looking a bit untidy due my Chionodoxa leaves dying back

A bit of colour showing in the Herbaceous bed:

The back boundary wall:

Two of my Camellias, there is a white one on the rockery but it is still quite a young plant

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 16:13:18 »
today completed the 2017 pumpkin house for this years comp plants are growing strong around 4" high at the mo will plant them out mid may they each will have a ton of well rotted manure per plant fingers crossed for a big one this years names for my pumpkins all start with C so open to suggestion  for names they are normally female so the best ones i get from the forum ill use

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 13:57:23 »
in your pics tg i noticed you have gladioli  in the greenhouse thought id share a pic of mine outdoors in the patio flower bed on my plot

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 15:26:31 »
The ones you saw are new stock I have purchased.

I lift my corms every year then plant them out again about now, in fact I planted them out earlier this week.

The main reason I lift & plant them each year as they have to fit in with my rotation plan. That is I don't have a dedicated bed for them, so each year they move around the plot. Last year I had them on Plot 19 this year they are in Plot 20 i.e. about 80ft away from where they were last year.

I am growing Black Velvet, Bonfire, Cream Perfection, Lowland Queen,  Pink Lady and the best of the ones I lifted last year.

This is Cream Perfection:

A typical harvest;

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 15:34:07 »
looking good tg i leave mine in i dont grow named varieties just mixes at the back of the border the mix shown was gardeners world mix last year around a fiver for 30 bulbs so great value  and look great in a vase

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 13:50:55 »
Tomatoes and Sweet Peppers this morning:

As you can see the Tomatoes are of a size suitable for planting out (about 3-4 weeks  too early)

Peppers should be OK for planting out at the end of May.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 20:29:21 »
my blackberry fantasia burst into  bloom today  in the sunshine

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 13:01:34 »
hes a look at my peppers in my unheated greenhouse lowest it got this week  was 0.5 however they survived ok  the pic is of a scotch bonnet red

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 14:21:33 »
Johnny, in your post of April 23, those are very strange looking Gladioli.
I'd return them and get your fiver back!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 17:39:04 »
Johnny, in your post of April 23, those are very strange looking Gladioli.
I'd return them and get your fiver back!!
we will see ill post pics of them in bloom then maybe youll be paying me a fiver for the picture lol :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 17:48:04 »
These are the  new varieties I planted the other day

Sadly it was my turn for a visit from Brock the Badger as you can see here.

Luckily the bed has not been planted out yet but it is well manured hence the visit I guess!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 20:46:45 »
Planted out six Tenderstar and six Cobra bean plants in tubs today - well protected against the wind with bubble wrap, one week earlier than last year. Tomorrow, I plan on getting 3 courgettes and 3 squashes in the ground too (cloche protected). I need the space in my small greenhouse so that I can plant up the tomatoes and cucumbers in their final pots.

Tricia :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal