Author Topic: Could do with a Crystal Ball  (Read 2051 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Could do with a Crystal Ball
« on: March 28, 2017, 14:55:01 »
This warm sunny weather is really confusing me and I wish I had a crystal ball to help me.

Many of the new tenants on the plots are planting potatoes and various other veg whereas me I am holding back but should I?

In the past I have seen a foot of snow covering my plot at this time of the year. Other years I have found that my spade would bounce of the surface of the soil as it was frozen so hard, and I have also lost stuff in the first week in June.

Is this a case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and I should get on with it ? or should I think in terms of "once bitten twice shy" or be " better to be safe than sorry"?

What do you guys think?

I made a bit of a start this morning and tidied up my fruit beds plus my garlic bed as I thought this should be safe enough choose what the weather brings but for the rest ???? I don't know hence my need of a crystal ball.

The New Strawberry bed:

The Garlic bed that was once the Strawberry bed

Raspberry & Gooseberry bed:

Leeks & Onions growing on :

Brassicas,Shallots,Sweet peas and a few bits & pieces growing on in unheated greenhouse:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Could do with a Crystal Ball
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 15:15:19 »
Couldn't we all Tee Gee?   I think, given what March and April can do, especially up north, that you'd be wisest to follow your instincts and hang on or else plant them but have some fleece handy to protect the shoots.   That would work for frosts but maybe not a late snow fall.

Everything is looking very organised and tidy.  Impressive.

We are planning a potager here from what was a small donkey paddock - 25m deep by 29 across and have had a man in with a mini digger to break it all up and turn it over and today he's been back with a mini tractor to smooth it all out and make a tilth.

Next job is to get the polytunnel built and then plant my new soft fruits and the ones I brought with us from Belgium.   Then we plan to make raise dbeds for assorted veg groups and some cut flowers.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 17:57:33 »
tg  by the looks of your pics your around 2/3weeks behind us on the sunshine coast which  i think makes it about next week for you to plant with confidence however as you know more than most its that gut feeling id listen too my gun ho southern approach it will grow anyway wont work in northen climes  as i say gut feeling go with it
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 20:00:48 »
Well, I'm half cautious (aka indecisive!) and would (have )split the options. Its worth a gamble, to get ahead of the crowd and get an early crop to break the 'hungry gap'. A dozen pots of french beans are neither here nor there when self saved seed is used and if lost, are cursed but not the end.So I plant.
Lacking a tunnel,(next year!) a cold frame may do the trick. Lettuce planted as an early micro greens but not used have been pricked out and growing quickly under poly cloches. The early spinach discussed here previously, is coming along steadily also under these poly cloches. Weeds are sprouting fast, bumble bees about and spring smelling in the air. Chard, more spinach (Samish) and parsnips in modules will go out this weekend. The seedling onions all went out last Sunday. I need to get them planted as a week away looms and the watering regime falters then. Tomatoes pricked out and are office -bound for supervision while away . Everything else goes in around Easter, if the snow permits! Good luck from here amongst the 'blasted heaths' of North Hampshire.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 20:12:53 »
Tee Gee, if you can wait till April 1st/2nd, there'll be a new 30 day forecast on Gav's Weather Vids, at http://www.gavsweathervids.com/terryscholey.html
It's not fool proof, but as a forecast fanatic and ex-pro grower, I reckon it's the best around!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:47:19 »
Its a lottery, isnt it.  We had first ( solo) Swallow make an appearance yesterday...and we have had frost and brilliant sunshing all within four days....so are planting some things earlier. 

Pescador, thanks for that link.
Jackie

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:18:07 »
Hang on !.....Hector....you,ve seen a swallow ? !! 
Trespassers will be composted !

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 13:29:55 »
stuffs outside now no cover in a sheltered spot for a week then its  planting time

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 13:31:32 »
and one tiny corner of a very crammed greenhouse all 4 are full to overflowing

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 14:18:19 »
Can't do with you being undecisive, TeeGee- I follow your lead as a fellow Yorkshire grower!  :happy7: I've got nothing in the ground yet!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 15:48:09 »
Everything is looking very organised and tidy.  Impressive.

Thanks!

as i say gut feeling go with it

Yes I think I will

Everything else goes in around Easter, if the snow permits!

I never use Easter as it is sometimes too early or some times a bit late depending when it occurs. I used to use the  Whitsuntide  holiday in my working days!

there'll be a new 30 day forecast on Gav's Weather Vids,

Thanks for that link, much appreciated!

Its a lottery, isnt it.  We had first ( solo) Swallow make an appearance yesterday...and we have had frost and brilliant sunshing all within four days....so are planting some things earlier.

Like Easter too hit and miss for me!

Can't do with you being undecisive, TeeGee- I follow your lead as a fellow Yorkshire grower!

Not to worry Caroline here is a copy of this years plan:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

small

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 21:56:54 »
I've put some earlies in, because I know I can cover them in case of bad weather, but here in the east midlands I don't put anything tender out till June - we've often had frost in the last week of May, and I can't bear to lose stuff. I'm not even starting beans till May. I think your own experience and knowledge of your microclimate is what counts.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 22:39:36 »
Hang on !.....Hector....you,ve seen a swallow ? !! 

I know!!! Bit worried about him/ her, seems very early...it was on its own on telephone wires here.....we had frost a couple of nights ago too.
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 07:51:50 »
Lots of things seem to be well ahead.  It is a bit worrying because we often get late frosts.  Snow is not so much of a problem, it actually protects the potatoes and keeps them from frost damage.  I am worried about the flowers on my blackcurrants.  Sometimes after a warm spring things can get very windy in May, 
Í haven't seen a swallow, but have seen bats several evenings.
The weeds seem to think it is time for action.
I think a few things early are a good idea, you either win or loose.  Sometimes you can be eating courgettes in May and beans in June.  Every year I put in a few beans under bottle cloches before I go on holiday in May and mostly a few survive.  But not last year!!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:44 »
If you recall last years weather was very warm for the time of year (April) then May was bitter cold.

In my opinion this knocked a lot of stuff out of klilter not least the Bees, they were out in April in abundance but I saw fewer than usual in May and for the rest of the year.

OK this was good for my Apples & Pears as they were pollinated well but I can't say the same of some of my other fruit, cropping was well down!

The way things are going at the moment I ask myself: are we in for more of the same! hence my need for a crystal ball.

Ahhhhh! the trials & tribulations of a gardener!
  :BangHead:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 13:43:26 »
tg thats why its called gardening and not harvesting :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal