Allotment Stuff > Locations and Sites

What sort of soil have you got ?

(1/3) > >>

bugboy:
We are down on the South Coast, near Southampton. Our little bit of alloty has more or less normal soil.  Acidic - ph 5.5 (thats all the manure people put on I guess). Drains well. Easy to dig.

LynneA:
London clay (aargh!) Actually not too bad but very stony - our plots are on the part of the site that was at one time a river bed.

There's another site in our boorugh called Clay Hill......

campanula:
when we took over our allotment, there was hardly any soil - i kid you not! The paths were sort of like dykes alongside these huge ditchescovering most of each plot. All the soil seemed to have disppeared. Not just my plot but several others. There was just a couple of inches before subsoil. I could only assume that no-one had ever added any organic matter/compost or anything but had simply harvested and planted at lower and lower levels each season. As we decided on raised beds, I actually had to import 6 tons of topsoil and 2 tons of manure! Still, I now have 16 1.6m x 4m raised beds and canot wait to really get going.

Mrs Ava:
fine stoney soil - so many stones I think I could make cobble paths and a couple of dry stone walls!  Not a worm in site, so since having it I have got lots of chunky organic matter into it and what do you know, wigglies everywhere!  Great to dig, breaks down really well, not like my Essex clay filled garden!

Les_Woof:
How can I find out what type of soil I have?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version