Author Topic: Chickens & turkeys  (Read 2695 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Chickens & turkeys
« on: March 27, 2017, 12:15:07 »
Long time, no post but have a bit of an urgent question. My wife just called to say she'd bought two turkeys - arriving at the end of the week. I've done a bit of reading and the consensus is they should be fine with in with our chickens. I can put them separately but they would have less space - what do you reckon, separate or together? Together they would be sharing the same food / water as the hens but have more space, separately they have just enough space but separate feeding.

Cheers
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Chickens & turkeys
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 19:09:00 »
The difference in size between turkey poults and mature chickens will give the hens, established on home ground the upper hand. The greater agility of the juveniles should allow them to escape unless you pen them tightly. I would be more concerned about predation from hawks and buzzards, I guess in your locale you have larger birds of prey also.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Chickens & turkeys
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:46:34 »
There is a pair of golden eagles that nest about half a kilometre away so are frequently flying over the allotment, but the pens have chicken wire covers so that hasn't been a problem. The hens we have have only just been added - last year a pack of dogs got into the allotment and literally smashed up the chicken coop - it's now been rebuilt and reinforced all round. The chickens are still getting used to their new home so it may be a good time to add the turkeys - I guess I can always separate them if there are any issues.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal