Author Topic: Rabbit proof  (Read 2049 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
Rabbit proof
« on: March 26, 2017, 16:47:26 »
 Been given the chance of having another half a plot  At the moment I don't want to go the extra expensive of wire fencing  until next year  ,but  we have rabbits on site  , but wondered if  there were things I could grow on parts it until its been cleaned completely ( ins in a terrible state BUT we fancy a challenge) I am thinking about up rooting the raspberry beds  I've already got  on my plot and sort out the ones on the future plot  move the currants and gooseberries from the old one  next year and instead of building the fruit cage we planned  on the old one but to build it on the new one but I would like to grow some rabbit proof things this year if there is anything they wouldn't eat such as onions ?  courgettes ? Planning on strimming it down using weed killer and then covering most of it  till next year but clean and plant as we go with stuff rabbits wouldn't touch the new one would be used for  stuff that have invasive nature

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Rabbit proof
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 18:41:39 »
They'll nibble at onions, garlic and leeks until spring is well and truly under way, but ignore them through the summer.  Potatoes, tomatoes, squashes, cucumbers, artichokes, broad beans and things along that sort of line are fairly trouble free with rabbits ... they will nibble off the young tips of emerging runner and french beans - but if you can protect them to above rabbit height before they climb up the poles they normally ignore them then.

Lettuce, Chard, Beetroot, Carrots, all brassicas and peas are all out until you've got them clear ... alternatively you can grow these in well netted temporary tunnels made from water piping hoops on bamboo and they will be pretty safe as long as the nets stay in place.  Ooh and parsley, celery, fennel and coriander are their absolute favourites so don't bother with those either!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 19:16:41 »
If my two pet bunnies are anything to go by, the leaves of raspberries/blackberries, currants, gooseberries, apples and pears are all delicious to rabbits too.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 19:38:57 »
Thanks for your reply's  I've plenty of blue water pipe so that would be an idea to put over the existing  raspberries  on the new plot  beans and the more normal stuff will be grown on the old  plot  I think the way to go would be  plant  squashes courgettes   etc  for this year  until I get the netting sorted  then  artichokes .  comfry
 and  a nettle bed   plus a space for cutting flowers  and of course  move my soft fruits over

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 16:20:29 »
Saw several rabbits in the next field yesterday, so plenty around here. 
They seem to adore onions.  Cougettes etc seem safe.  Plastic bottles round the base of runner beans may be enough.  Rabbits round here not keen on parsley.  I have debris netting over my brassicas and so far been lucky they haven't thought to go under it. 
They love bind weed roots dried.  So I leave them on the surface and they disappear.
Í have some nibbling on my blackcurrants.  They have been digging holes all over the place.  Need to net the seed beds.
The farmer who runs our site likes rabbit pie!!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 19:02:43 »
Young rabbit drumsticks fried with bacon. Yum.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 21:10:44 »
Weird, my two little pests eat loads of parsley!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 23:20:15 »
They only seem to like flat-leaf parsley ... not the curly type ... I cannot say why as I'm not a rabbit!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 14:18:09 »
Oh that makes sense squeezyjohn, I only ever buy the flat stuff because I prefer the taste so I've never tried my two with curly parsley.

Rabbits in general like strong-tasting plants and seem especially fond of bitter flavours.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 16:08:47 »
 Well we signed up for the  other allotment to day  Got the day off to morrow and if the weathers good  ,going over and measure   and work out some plans . Planning on digging a trench around the rasp berries to stop them spreading Well that's the idea.  In the allotment we got now they seem to be spreading in all directions 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal