Author Topic: Tomatoes and Peppers growth  (Read 3184 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
Tomatoes and Peppers growth
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:59:11 »
 I had several old partly used old  packets of of Peppers and Tomatoes  seeds some from 2011.  I planted the seeds of both two week ends ago  might even be three   the Tomatoes have germinated and have their true leaves where the peppers  are no where to be seen Are they slower to germinate or should I start again . Both are in a heated propagator

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Tomatoes and Peppers growth
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:03:47 »
Peppers and chilli seeds have a shorter life span than tomatoes, 2011 seed might be pushing it. Unless they are rare ones, I'd sow again with some fresher seed.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:43:50 »
If you can spare the space I'd give them another week... if not start again with fresher seed as Jayb suggests.

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 18:37:29 »
 I have a couple up  so I will wait another week   Basically it was a trial  of sorts to see if they would grow before I ditch them in favour of the newer ones   so nothing lost if they don't grow   

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:03 »
Peppers and chilli seeds have a shorter life span than tomatoes, 2011 seed might be pushing it. Unless they are rare ones, I'd sow again with some fresher seed.

I agree, two years is all I get from chilis or peppers.  And I have had commercial seed that did not make it to the end of their ' sow before' date even in an unopened packet that was stored under good conditions.  They really are short lived.   However in a moisture proof jar with silica gel (or dry rice) added as dessicant, they can be stored in the freezer for years.  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:37:35 »
I am waiting for some old seed to germinate and reading this I will get some fresh in. I thought it was worth a try! Never mind.  :wave:

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 19:51:46 »
This year I sowed seeds from a shop bought green pepper and had 100% success and the seedlings are romping away. I put quite a few in as I thought they may not germinate so lots of healthy little plants.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 21:28:19 »
I usually reckon that peppers and tomato seed lasts about 4 years (based on data from "reliable" sources on the internet). So I usually chuck the packet after that time. However it does depend on how they are stored and how old they actually are when you buy them (sometimes that's not easy to determine!).
So you've done well to get the tomatoes up and growing. I doubt your peppers will germinate but they are finicky slow plants to germinate and I find they need a higher temperature than tomatoes.
The other problem is that even if they germinate they may struggle as seedlings as the food stores in the seed may have deteriorated so little is available to initially make a good strong root and stem.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 21:35:18 by George the Pigman »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 19:07:07 »
They store well enough in the freezer. I'm growing loads this year. Some of it was tomato seed that I saved about tn years ago, and stored at room temperature for several years before I cottoned on to using the freezer. It germinated well.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:18:18 »
Ten year old tomatoes do germinate quite well for me.  I have tried to germinate even older and with 12 year old seeds I got some germination.  Quite different to peppers which are much shorter lived.  Apparently, (although I  haven't tried it) 40 year old tps (true potato seeds) will still germinate.  :wave:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 23:24:42 »
I find peppers and chillies need more heat to germinate than tomatoes, I put mine in at least 28 degrees and they come up in under a week. Might be worth increasing the heat if you can, if nothing shows in another week I'd try new seeds.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 07:28:37 »
Thanks for everyone`s Tips /Advise .... I have just a couple from a few variety's  coming though

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 09:43:11 »
Good, hope that's enough... I'm having issues with the Aubergines this year...

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 11:10:32 »
I find peppers and chillies need more heat to germinate than tomatoes, I put mine in at least 28 degrees and they come up in under a week. Might be worth increasing the heat if you can, if nothing shows in another week I'd try new seeds.

Agreed, no question - but if peppers do suffer any chill they seem to generally recover quickly in heat, whereas tomatoes can stop and sulk from the same conditions.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Mcgarity

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 06:06:26 »
This year I sowed seeds from a shop bought green pepper and had 100% success and the seedlings are romping away. I put quite a few in as I thought they may not germinate so lots of healthy little plants.

Nice, I've got some growing nicely too.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 11:24:42 »
Not sure whats happened....in my unheated greenhouse I have various chilli seedlings and tomato seedlings which have been doing ok. Two or three "lots" now have crispy tops....they where not at true leaves stage yet....so dont think they are going to make it :(

Is it too late to resow some chillis?
ANd would you folks resow tomatoes or am I as well using sideshoots out the ones that have been ok.

I water from below, so this is odd. I do put a poly/ propagator cover over them at night and was late taking it off one morning that was very sunny........could that have done it?

Jackie

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 15:57:23 »
I water from below, so this is odd. I do put a poly/ propagator cover over them at night and was late taking it off one morning that was very sunny........could that have done it?
Overheating sounds like a real possibility here - greenhouses can get very hot in the sun, especially if they're unventilated, and the extra cover would make it worse.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 16:52:59 »
I think you are right. We had to tke on of the cats to emergency vet, so two hours covered when wouldnt normally be covered/ have level of heat we had.....the odd bit is there were six varieties in there and only three affected.

Is it too late to sow more chillis, do you think?

IM wondering if strike runners from toms that I already have growing or resow the Irish Gardeners Delight.....am I a bit late?

Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 19:00:04 »
I think you are right. We had to tke on of the cats to emergency vet, so two hours covered when wouldnt normally be covered/ have level of heat we had.....the odd bit is there were six varieties in there and only three affected.

Is it too late to sow more chillis, do you think?

IM wondering if strike runners from toms that I already have growing or resow the Irish Gardeners Delight.....am I a bit late?

yes i think its a little late to sow chillis best by plants b and q  do a chilli selection pack for around a fiver nnot sure how many euros that is however its good value if you dont need more than 6 as a packet of seeds are around £3  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 19:36:35 »
Thanks Johnny....Ive got loads...just gutted I lost the Ethiopean Brown and Amarillo ones I like for cooking. ILl make do with eating loads of Padrons ;)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal