Author Topic: What size grit/gravel for Bonsai Trays?  (Read 1563 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
What size grit/gravel for Bonsai Trays?
« on: March 24, 2017, 21:27:19 »
My wife has a collection of outdoor bonsai plants and a resourceful friend has built a Japanese style bench to put them on with a rubber covering. I want to put gravel/grit in the bench partly for decoration and partly to increase the water retention/humidity. What size or type of gravel would anyone recommend?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: What size grit/gravel for Bonsai Trays?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 21:47:46 »
I did a google and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Jack/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_lg_web_8126182011?ie=UTF8&node=8126182011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Bonsai+Jack

Ok it is an American source but perhaps after reading it you will find  British equivalent

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 21:16:34 »
Thanks Tee Gee but they all seem to be grit that's added to soil to improve drainage for potting up rather than grit just to put the pots on.
We had a long look at a local garden centre that does an excellent range of grit and gravel and even lets you take samples home. In the end we opted for the 10mm-20mm pea gravel our friend bought for us in the first place from the builders yard. But will will probably put a thin layer of more "ornamental" stuff over the top of it.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:51:45 »
I would love to see a picture of your bonsai collection !  :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal