Author Topic: Leggy beetroot  (Read 1315 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Leggy beetroot
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:00:09 »
Hello all.

In order to get some early beetroot I thought I would start some up in modules in a heated propagator. As soon as I saw the plants pushing their way through I moved them to a n unheated greenhouse, but the result has been lots of leggy beetroot. Is there anything I can do to salvage them or should I just start again, but not use the propagator?

Regards

Bluecar

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Leggy beetroot
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:16:32 »
In order to get some early beetroot - but the result has been lots of leggy beetroot

I don't know what area you are in but even so I think you have been a tad early in sowing them. It will be another 4-5 weeks before I sow mine using the same method as you, then I sow another batch directly into the soil at the end of May.

Your problem has been mainly 'lack of daylight' a common factor with early sown stuff, as you have found out it is relatively easy to germinate stuff but growing on can often be a problem due to lack of good light, and day length.

Rather than throw them out you could plant a few out and cover them with a fleece or glass cloche.

I would guess your ground will be quite cold so to alleviate that you can form a drill about a couple of inches deep and place some new  multi-purpose or potting compost  into and transplant your seedlings into it. At least then the soil will be warmer and dryer and the cloche might  give enough protection for them to develop.

Other than that start again in another month or so.

Sorry! but that is the best advice I can offer!....Tg

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 08:47:55 »
Thanks Tg.

It's worth a go. Should I insert them down to the leaves or keep the leggy stalk above ground?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:19:12 »
Yes! I would

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 10:46:37 »
Okay, thanks Tg. I thought the stems might rot,

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 13:25:07 »
I thought the stems might rot,

That is a possibility but so is being broken by the wind which I think is more likely if the stems  are  above the soil

I must add that my suggestions are pretty much tongue in cheek because there are so many variables to consider e.g. temperature &  wetness which may affect their survival, but being a super optimist I thought these suggestions were better than just advising you to throw them away and start again.

As they say " Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" so fingers crossed and lets hope that your efforts reap some success.  Tg

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 14:09:43 »
Hello Tg - it's probably the 'lesser of two evils'. As you say, it's better to give it a go rather than just empty the modules out.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 17:49:31 »
I have sown some seeds into modules and put them in an unheated greenhouse they seem ok at the moment but will take notice of the advice by tg  i  have not been very successful the last 2 years since I moved allotments plenty of growth on top but nothing underneath so thought modules may be better
Barnsley S Yorks

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 20:20:26 »
Unless they have got extremely long(70mm plus), I would plant them out having put 2" of compost along the row first.Sink them in so they will stand upright and gently draw the compost up and around, by hand.This way they will both drain and be supported. Its perfectly feasible to transplant even bare rooted beet (such as thinnings) but keep the taproot intact. Please report the outcome.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal