Author Topic: Sweet Peppers in a Pot  (Read 1511 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Sweet Peppers in a Pot
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:36 »
I,m growing Sweet Peppers for the first time and would like to know how big a pot do they need each ?  Are they like tomatoes and maybe grow them in a grow bag ...or would a large plastic flowerpot do the job ?  :coffee2:Debbie :wave:
Trespassers will be composted !

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Sweet Peppers in a Pot
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:42:07 »
Mine are grown and treated the same way as tomatoes  - in pots or two or three to a growbag.

Tricia :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:47:45 »
I,m growing Sweet Peppers for the first time and would like to know how big a pot do they need each ?  Are they like tomatoes and maybe grow them in a grow bag ...or would a large plastic flowerpot do the job ?  :coffee2:Debbie :wave:

There are differences in height and spread (you didn't say which variety), but on the whole they are knee high rather than adult height like most tomatoes.  Yes they are suited for pot growing, actually better than growing tomatoes in large pots because they are a little more forgiving if the pots get dry.  Peppers don't need as much watering as tomatoes, but they love even more warmth.  Pots on the patio in full sunshine next to the house where the patio slabs and the house give off extra warmth are ideal for peppers.  Good luck  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:50 »
This is how I grow mine in an 8x6 greenhouse

These are bottomless rings and from memory they are around 9"-10" diameter.

You can get a better idea from this link:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Sweet%20peppers/Sweet%20Peppers.htm

click on the pictures to enlarge them!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 18:18:41 »
I use bottomless florists buckets, set three into a growbag...

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 13:01:19 »
i grow mine in bottomless pots i use the long type that roses come in i find that they like a constricted root run so i dont use a big pot and 4 to a grow bag seems to work for me
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 13:35:27 »
Thanks everybody. What a clever lot you are ! ...and I,m sure your tips will help others new to growing Peppers too . :coffee2: Thanks again Debbie  :wave:
Trespassers will be composted !

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 19:37:00 »
My advice is: go to a supermarket. Buy a pack of multi-coloured "snack" peppers - cone shape around 3x10cm (max) for about £7 a kilo.

They are also called "mini sweets" in some shops and "chiquino" in others.

Usually a pack of ~6 costs £1-2. It's worth it...
a) They taste better than most peppers - the orange ones are outstanding,  even better than fancy long horn ones.
b) They come true from the seeds.
c) The price of the peppers is high until you realise you have 3 different seed packets there - that would cost you more than £10 from b****y t&m and they'd probably be half the size or less.
d) The plants are in proportion to the fruit and crop well in a 25cm pot and even better in a bigger one.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal