Author Topic: Hoe recommendations please  (Read 2448 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Hoe recommendations please
« on: February 24, 2017, 17:49:32 »
i've decided i want a hoe that cuts on the push and pull (can't remember what they are called!) Can anyone recommend one?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Hoe recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 18:25:21 »

This link might help.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Tools-Hoes/Tools%20-%20Hoes.htm

I will leave the manufacturer choice to you but  I would say that you get what you pay for  so my choice would be a multi-purpose hoe with a one piece head made of chrome steel and a light weight shaft.

Try a few hoes to get one that is comfortable to use both for length and weight.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 18:44:25 »
I swear by the wolf ones, I use the swoe type and 2 push pull ones 1 small and one large, the push pull work brilliantly and are used daily for work and on the plot. I use the swoe type in tighter areas as it can be used sideways aswell as back and forth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOLF-Garten-SHM-Multi-Change-Style/dp/B0071H6WKC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1487961715&sr=8-6&keywords=wolf+hoe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOLF-Garten-RFM-Multi-Change-Push-Pull-Weeder/dp/B0001FP0AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487961715&sr=8-1&keywords=wolf+hoe

you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 19:21:55 »
I have had a look on line and could not find like the one I have but this is a variation on it.

https://www.burgonandball.com/shop/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=167

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 20:12:25 »
Thanks- some good ones to choose from!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 20:43:07 »
Wolf for me too.  There push-me-pull-you hoe head is brilliant.  We have two so OH can play too.
Obxx - Vendée France

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 00:03:41 »
I've been using a long handled lightweight azada from this site ... http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm - it's so easy to keep sharp and once you get used to it the angle is great for just skimming over the surface of the weeds - if it's sharp you can get right in close to your plants using the corner too.  I've never tried one that works in both directions.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 10:25:24 »
I've got both a long and a short azada , both of which I like but don't tend to use as a hoe, and a small hand hoe, but thought a push-pull one would be more efficient.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:56:16 »
hi Ya, I to go for yhe wolf push/pull, the are a bit more expensive but worth it, you can also choose what length handle you need to make it more comfortable. I like the idea of the weed slice but it's pricey and the handle is to short for me. Good luck

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 14:25:56 »
its wolf from the clacton on sea jury
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 11:41:14 »
I have both the small and large Wolf push pull hoes and used for some years - absolutely brilliant and quite quick as well

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 13:10:03 »
Thinking seriously about Wolf , especially as they have a sale on their website! just wondering what length of handle to go for.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 13:41:44 »
I use mine with the short handle for close up hand hoeing in tight spaces or on my knees.  For larger areas and between rows of veggies I use the full length handle which is good for backs.   If you can't stretch to both just now, go for the long one.    Checkout the 3 pronged cultivator head too and the small rake head.   They're the ones we use most.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 15:49:59 »
Thinking seriously about Wolf , especially as they have a sale on their website! just wondering what length of handle to go for.
id get the longest you can afford the hoes are so sharp it takes very little effort to pull it back through the soil and the longer the handle the less you have to walk on the plot however the short handle is great for close work hope this helps oh the ally handle is the lighter one of the two wood is ok however i prefer  the ally version 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 16:47:32 »
Found a little-used scuffle* hoe on a bootsale, £1.50.It did well last year but must have been pre-owned by a midget.  Just spent £6 on a 5' ash handle to avoid the dreaded stoop, still in under budget.
*A bit like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wentAwEB1WI
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 17:06:21 »
Well, I've just ordered a long aluminium handle and a large push-pull head. Best price was on a site called Garden Goodies which I hadn't seen before. Next day delivery so should be using it in no time!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 18:50:11 »
Well, I've just ordered a long aluminium handle and a large push-pull head. Best price was on a site called Garden Goodies which I hadn't seen before. Next day delivery so should be using it in no time!
im sure you will be impressed and maybe even turn hoeing into  a joy well ok not that far please let mr know what you think

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 04:47:36 »
i have a Hanicks speed hoe. That works on both push and pull

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal