Author Topic: taties in  (Read 2446 times)

ACE

• Hectare
taties in
« on: March 14, 2017, 13:42:19 »
Well the volunteers were popping up everywhere. Started digging a trench but it was going to be too wet on top of the clay subsoil. So into a raised bed and lovely conditions, trenches dusted with growmore and foremost spuds placed up the right way. Just got to wait now.

Nora42

• Acre
Re: taties in
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 14:15:00 »
I'm jealous Ace,
Potatoes are in at the schools in bags but because of the state of my internal lady parts I am having anxiety dreams about how the potatoes at the plot are to be planted. Especially as the other half with muscles has fecked off to Bradford for a couple of days. I will no doubt have some negotiations to master when he gets back.

Nora
Norf London

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 16:14:27 »
Is that just the earlies Ace?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 21:24:03 »
Is that just the earlies Ace?

Yes the second earlies will have to wait until the ground dries a bit, should be alright in a few weeks then I am away for a small holiday before the main goes in. My rotation plan will have to be revamped if the spot I earmarked for the potato area needs changing to the other plot which is a lot drier.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:59 »
Still a bit damp and cold up North ( although I feel the Midlands is deep South!) another couple of weeks and we should be away...

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 17:32:28 »
Got the first 80 in today...

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 15:10:16 »
funny you should mention volunteers just noticed that 2 bags of potatoes from last season i had forgotten about have died back and grown back :) should i bin or encourage?

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 16:21:16 »
Mine are in as well :)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 18:17:34 »
I'd bin them... but if you are feeling adventurous.....

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 18:39:15 »
No rush for me. Allotment still soggy and we can get ground frosts here in Brum as late as early May. Probably bung the lot in in mid April. I've done it as late as late April in the past.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 14:07:35 »
all finished today  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: all pots finished now just sit back and  watch them grow lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 14:51:36 »
all finished today  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: all pots finished now just sit back and  watch them grow lol

Bl**dy Hell Johnny I have often heard of people growing " bucket loads" but I think your set up takes the biscuit!  :icon_salut:

I should think that out of 28 buckets you will be able to get a few trayful of winners so that you can add another date to that plaque! :icon_cheers:

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 17:59:26 »
Johnny are they in the tubs or in the ground with the tubs to protect.
I have all earlies in tubs i the greenhouse and just started with the second earlies and maincrop.
Still got plenty left to eat from last year so might avoid having to buy some :icon_cheers:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 20:59:43 »
indeed tg I've cut down on the 40 tubs last season ! and pumpkinlover they are straight in the tubs each tub takes around 50 ltrs of compost at the mo they are around a third full i will top them up as the season progresses  tubs make it easy to harvest  as i have a bad back and the rest of the plots  are volunteer free

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:26:43 »
You're not wrong George... my records show that I didn't get the last variety in until the first of May in 2015... as local conditions (waterlogging) didn't allow it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 08:00:02 »
We get frosts well into may and occasionally into June.   So I watch the weather forecast and get earthing up or covering the plants with straw or weeds.  During the winter some of my potato trenches have become covered in goose grass (cleavers) and this will be very useful later on as protection. 
Gradually getting my spuds in.  I had a lot of nettles so I am hoping the spuds will finally clear them out.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 15:40:50 »
earlies are just poking through in the tubs the greenhouse bags of charlottes are up around 6" will blind them  both on friday spring is really here on the sunshine coast

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal