Author Topic: Parsnips  (Read 5073 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 08:15:23 »
They are in as of yesterday. Vulcan, no wind and nice weather, so I put two in every station and only 6" apart as I want smaller parsnips. Took the cover off the patch and soil was lovely underneath. Kept some back for empty spaces, just in case

Broad beans are also in, they are loving this weather and instinct said that time is right

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 10:50:36 »
I found many years ago that by sowing a bit later than usual I got no cancer although that particular year there was a lot about. This was conformed later by going to a vegetable talk , when parsnip seed germinates the very first root is the parsnip and if it gets damaged by late frost then canker spores can get in. Some packets this year do suggest later sowing. I sow in 2nd half of March straight in the soil with no special conditions no problems.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 17:23:33 »
Parsnips just poking through now so it took about three weeks using the plank method. :icon_cheers:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 20:50:17 »
I think I have the first few direct sown coming through now, again about 3 weeks...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:28 »
I used three different methods and so far nothing. Hardly any rain since I sowed them. Though got a few carrots.   Getting very dry on the surface here.   
The volunteers germinated early and are doing well, so I have let them be.  Though most of them are on the pathways between plots so will get mown off.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 15:34:31 »
only a few have come up so far, I think I will also cover with fleece as soon as I have sown next year. I still have my fingers crossed, now that we have had rain. I am going to find the spare seeds just in case, for gap filling. I put 3 seeds in each station and I am still hopeful. My neighbour on the plots also only has a few up too

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 17:47:28 »
all through on friday will let them get a bit bigger before i weed them and when my back lets me  :coffee2:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 18:51:34 »
Good show this year with only a few gaps - they took the best part of 4 weeks mind but glad to have nice neat rows of seedlings..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 20:56:34 »
Much better germination in my later sowings... maybe because they were "newer" seed... not always obvious when you buy a "new"  packet.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 18:59:56 »
I gap filled today and watered, I still have fingers crossed. Next year I will be sowing the whole packet in that space, I would rather have to thin than wonder if any more will come up. My neighbour is an excellent grower and has hardly any up, must be our local conditions

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 15:57:39 »
I've used seed tape this year for parsnips, to get the spacing right, and to get round the problem of the seeds getting blown off line by the wind, but I'm thinking now that I ought to try the plank method, as germination in previous years has been inconsistent, perhaps due to the crusting issue raised. Of course rain hasn't been a problem so far this year (SE), other than there hasn't been any!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal