Author Topic: Feeding Blackcurrants question  (Read 1316 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Feeding Blackcurrants question
« on: March 07, 2017, 17:14:00 »
RHS says late winter, not sure when that is.
Ken Muir says mid march, another site say 3rd week March.
Plants getting leaves already.
Need enough rain to take the fertiliser down to the roots, but not so much that it washes it away. 
They did have a mulch of manure but the hedgehog has been making a mess of that.

So when do you think would be a good time to start feeding them.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Feeding Blackcurrants question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 17:31:21 »
id use a liquid all purpose  feed next week and again around december however the later one i use half strength
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 17:35:24 »
nettle and comfrey with a dollop of pigeon poo is my balanced feed of choice hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 17:39:30 »
I think you need to judge it according to your local weather conditions.  In a normal year I would give ours a generous handful of pelleted chicken manure in late March but last year was so mild they got it at the end of Feb.  If they were lucky, hey'd also get a mulch of garden compost in late autumn/early winter.

In this new garden there are about 5 currant bushes, all suffering from a long drought from July to December last year and all needing to be moved as they are in teh wrong place.   I shall give them a light feed when I dig them up and heel them in to wait their permanent home in the new veggie patch.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 17:56:53 »
None of mine suffered last year, I watered them, they got the best of care.  They also were fed September as per New Zealand suggestion then this fattened up the buds and produce a rash of new buds very low down so far pleased with that.
It is going to be warm for the next week and the rain is easing off, so might give them half now and half in two or three weeks.
Worried that the rain over winter will have leeched the nutrient out of the soil.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:18:02 »
It is spring.  The blackcurrants are now looking green rather than brown.
The weeds are growing and I have one dandelion flowering.

So how do I know it is spring, well the robin told me!! 

He said on a branch and told me loud and clear that it is spring and now is the time to feed my blackcurrants and sow my parsnips.  Who am I to argue?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal