Author Topic: Blackcurrants.  (Read 1908 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Blackcurrants.
« on: March 07, 2017, 16:11:33 »
I was tempted by some Lubera blackcurrants with their claim of them being sweeter.
The plants are a bit pricy.  But I splashed out.
The plant arrived today and they were bigger than expected, they were described as strong plant, and they are right on.  Good strong plant with good roots in a large pots, so reasonable value for money.
Bought a ccasseille (blackcurrant/gooseberry cross last year from another company and although that was quite expensive and it has only grown three inches on one stem.  So these may be better value
So far pleased with my Lubera, I think they might even fruit this year, so roll on summer, I am looking forward to the sweetness.
One pot even has two in it, and one is green so looking forward to that, though presume that means it does not have the antioxidant qualities of the purple fruits.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 16:24:07 by Digeroo »

Digeroo

• Hectare
Re: Blackcurrants.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 16:20:30 »
I was concerned when I opened the box that some of the leaves were already green, but they matched the bushes already on the plot, have not been for about a week, so was amazed to seem some of them are fully green already.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 17:38:49 »
i have some josta berries they are  a thug of a plant from cutting to 4ft across in 3 years the fruit taste amazing however one bush is enough no matter how much you like them
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 18:16:54 »
I have a jostaberry that I was given but fruit not particularly good.  Someone on the opposed site of the site has a much better tasting one, they have given me some cutting, and yes that one has become huge.  Some branches touched the ground so it is now three plants.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 19:03:26 »
Thats really interesting re the jostaberry. I had high hopes for it as I love blackcurrants and gooseberries, but the taste is boring! Maybe I should try to find a better one. It is a real thug as you say Johhnyco, so I need to cut it back a lot.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 13:01:21 »
I have a rooted cutting of the new one, taken march last years so waiting to see if I get any fruit, and whether the taste comes with it across the site.   I think they are rather slow to get going fruitwise.  I have also bought a Casseille so it will be interesting to see how that tastes.  But having bought it as great expensive it is only just alive and unlikely to produce fruit this year.  It was supposed to be a rooted cutting but is doing worse than my own cuttings so I have the idea I paid a lot for a pot and a cutting with no roots.   

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 23:56:37 »
I find jostas good to eat raw but they don't have the intensity of flavour for making cordial to provide C on dark winter days.

Incidentally the sharpest true blackcurrants have a major advantage (for me). It is possible to squash them into a closed  jar or barrel with layers of sugar and put 2-3 inches of sugar on top. If you're lucky the sugar will draw out all the juice from the fruit without letting any yeasts or bacteria grow.

Then you get the true flavour of fresh blackcurrant, and that's worth a lot even if it is a bit too sweet.

If you aren't lucky you will probably still get a sort of thick alcoholic cassis that's still drinkable.

This is NOT science, it's practical magic - the only time I got it 100% right was at least 15 pints of berries in a 40 pint barrel - the kind that would accept a CO2 bulb.

Now I think about it, a blanket of CO2  might be exactly what's needed to get the osmosis to stay ahead of the yeasts... II

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 15:41:31 »
josta's in flower should have some early fruit this year yummy
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 16:32:47 »
Just seen my casseille has got a strong new shoot from the base just below the soil level so I am very pleased with that.  Perhaps it will finally take off, and then go on a take over bid.

Some of my blackcurrants are showing signs of flowers but not the jostaberry yet.  The new one which I rooted last year has bigger leaves than my original tasteless one, so I am hoping it has different genes so I get some of the yummy ones as well. 

The autumn feed advocated by New Zealand seems to be good, most of my blackcurrants are sprouting well from near ground level.

captainhastings

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:14 »
any tips on keeping them weed free ? I have couchgrass around the base of mine and I can't get it out for love nor money lol
Not allowed weed killer either

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal