Author Topic: Allotment bandit  (Read 1557 times)

TEL

• Hectare
Allotment bandit
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:14:25 »
I seem to have someone who has taken a fancy to my Green House contents.
Over the past two years or so things have been going missing from GH seeds ,tools Gnome present from my boys & yesterday seed spuds :BangHead:.
But not my Lager so a non drinker or some morals.
I am now thinking of fitting a spy cam how sad is that :sad10: .

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Allotment bandit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 13:21:15 »
A cheap little alarm that works on a string fixed to the door will be enough. The loud 'rape alarms' are best, the noise will scare them off.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 15:28:00 »
I had the same thing happening to me dude, but as Ace has said i got a shed alarm from my local police station for free and and connected the pull cord to the door and within a few days soon found who was going into my greenhouse and it was another plot holder who i got on very well with but the noise from the alarm made another plot holder look up the allotments and saw him closing the door thinking it would stop the alarm. Needless to say i have not had anything go missing in the last few years.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 21:29:01 »
depending on the type of greenhouse you can drill a hole for a padlock to fit into on the top rail of the door track, it doesn't lock the door   it stops the door from opening.... will get a picture tomorrow if it helps to clear the mental image up...lol..

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 21:58:04 »

I am now thinking of fitting a spy cam how sad is that?

Not sad at all. You would be doing yourself and your fellow tenants a huge favour if you could identify this odious individual and get them evicted. If you are unable to find the culprit, I'd suggest persuading your committee to put up a few prominent notices, detailing that theft are occurring, warning tenants to be on guard and threatening instant eviction for anyone caught stealing from a fellow tenant.  We all detest theft and vandalism by outsiders, but somehow it seems even worse when perpetrated by someone who should, in theory, be one of us.

Good luck. I hope you get the despicable low life responsible.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 16:34:17 »
i think every site has one ive had compost taken every year for the last 3 and last year had my waterbutt emptied of my pigeon poo and comfrey mix   strange as i give it away to anyone who wants any we think we have found the culprit its just down to catching him in the act which is proving very difficult i think a trail camera will be going up in a week or two
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 17:44:09 »
Thanks for the ideas.
I would give any one anything if they asks.
Its just a shame all are not like we are on A4A .
Thanks again if i find out who it is i will let you know the outcome good news soon be growing  :blob7: bad news still be weeding :cussing:.

Tel

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 19:07:49 »
On one plot previously ,I left a wheelbarrow which , simply needed TLC. The tube leaked air, the spindle worn and a couple of bolts pulled through a rusting body. How surprised I was , to discover it had been taken. Much more surprised to find it later, at the other end of the plot, fully repaired and ready to roll. Strangely it found its way home!, and was padlocked to an apple tree when not required. Never strayed again.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal