Author Topic: Fruit bushes packs of three for e2.99 in lidl  (Read 4369 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Fruit bushes packs of three for e2.99 in lidl
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:44 »
 :icon_cheers: hello all just to say the fruit bush packs are back in lidl, black currants, red currants or raspberries. Great way to bulk up your beds. I bought these last year and had some fruit on them by august. Have bulked up a treat. Here in Roscommon they are 2.99 euros. X sunloving

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Fruit bushes packs of three for e2.99 in lidl
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:28:17 »
Thanks for the heads up I was hoping to catch their strawberries.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 19:33:00 »
No strawberries in yet, but I bought from them last year but they were elsanta and not very productive sadly! So avoid if this variety.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:34:03 »
Yep , will avoid elsanta ,this county almost sinks under the production of this one strawberry! One alpine strawberry has greater flavour. Umm there's a thought!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 15:26:39 »
My fruit cage is full, so I passed on the soft fruit bushes, but did  get some strawberries.

Healthy looking plants, and good value at £2.99 for six. Four varieties on offer, including El Santa (I avoided these) also Ostara, Sonata and Korona. Now I was unfamiliar with these varieties, but a bit of research on line suggested the last two were highly rated for flavour so I invested in a dozen. I think Ostara is a variety that fruits from summer through to the frosts, so if you want a longer cropping period maybe worth a punt.

Anyway, knowing how Lidl operates they will probably only be around for a few days. About half the price compared to many suppliers, and of course, no postage or staying in for delivery. Strike while the iron is hot!

Cheers
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:10:20 »
Got a gooseberry hinnomaki red.  Nice big plant, three good stems, will be interesting to see root ball.   

Bought some fruit trees in Tesco, and they have had almost all of their roots cut off very brutally.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 07:43:16 »
Thank you Sunloving and Beersmith.  I got a pack of Ostara strawberries.  Haven't bought new strawberry plants for a while.  These look much better than others I have seen for example the sad things in Wilko.  Of course the Euro price is the same as the pound price  :BangHead: but still a very good deal if they produce well.  They also had cabbage plants and many others, but I didn't have time to study in detail.  Thanks for the info   :wave:

PS Ostara has been described elsewhere as perpetual fruiting, so should harvest for a longer time than others.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:48:13 by galina »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:12:28 »
My Lidl says they'll have the soft fruits next week but on Thursday they had packs of 4 seed trays with cells and lids, cloches and cold frames.  I came out with 4, 2 and 2 respectively because the cloches and cold frames were a surprise and I couldn't carry more.    My local LIDL in Belgium had always sold out of such specials by 9am so I gave up.   Here there was still loads left by mid afternoon.
Obxx - Vendée France

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:40:18 »

Bought some fruit trees in Tesco, and they have had almost all of their roots cut off very brutally.

Yes, me too. Don't hold out high hopes for them.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 13:03:01 »
They are budding well now :)
Located in Royston, North Herts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal