Author Topic: Composting for beginners  (Read 1762 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Composting for beginners
« on: February 27, 2017, 15:22:02 »
The RHS of my inherited compost bin is completely enclosed, no slats lift out. It's full of stuff that doesn't seem to have rotted down at all. Any suggestions as to how to manage this? Thanks.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Composting for beginners
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 15:33:30 »
to me it needs turning more green waste and urine id take half it out fork thru to get air in it layer with green waste then a pint of urine and then do the same with the other half the more air you can get in the layers the better and dont let them dry out hope this helps maybe some black membrane on the top to keep the heat in
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

AnnieD

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 15:35:46 »
Thanks. I know I need to get it all out somehow. I think I will have to unscrew some of the slats so I can get at it ?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 16:50:41 »
Personally for the long term I would remove one side of the bin and empty the bin completely, yes this will be quite hard work but in the long term it will be worth it.

Once emptied I would form a partition to split the bin in two.

Then I would sort out the stuff you have removed into usable material and put this on your plot, the remainder I would put into one side of the newly partitioned bin and leave this till next year (2018). The remaining side would be filled with material that will accumulate this year (2017) this would be left to rot down to be used in 2019.

In subsequent years you would alternate filling  the bins in a similar manner.

If you are a glutton for punishment you could  form an extension on your bin to make it into a three compartment bin and every six months empty the oldest material into the extension which is effectively the 'turning' process Johnny was referring to.

The key to good composting is to form layers of different compost materials, there is a list of these in this article;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Composting/Composting.htm

AnnieD

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 19:59:30 »
Thanks for this great advice  :happy7:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 20:05:41 »
More great advice!
Drive 2 posts in 3" from the end, left& right. Screw through the existing slats to the new .Saw through all the slats on this end on both sides. Lift away. Either buy two "tee " hinges(14") or find three lengths of binder twine and tie in once you have followed all the advice above. Problem solved for a permanent fix.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 22:36:34 »
Well I always try to start with an optimistic outlook. The stuff that is visible through the slats certainly looks dry and rather woody. But depending on how long it has stood undisturbed there is a possibility that some of the deeper lower layers might be useable straightaway. Sometimes when a plot gets overgrown a tenant will clear grass and other weeds and create a pile like this that contains a lot of earth in the mix. Some years back I inherited a similar looking heap held in a wire cage. It looked a lot of work but in the event almost half was usable without further composting.

I would suggest a little and often approach.  The key is having an empty bin or area so you can dig this one out. Try to shift just a  few buckets full each time you visit your plot. Others have given good advice about moisture levels and getting a good mix of green and brown that will compost more quickly.

If, lower down, you start to find friable earth or stuff that is reasonably well rotted I'd put it through a coarse sieve and spread it back on your plot without doing anything more.

Cheers
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 18:28:10 »
I'd dig the lot in. Anything which isn't rotted now would rot over the next few months. No doubt there will be some well rotted stuff down the bottom if you need it for pots etc.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 07:16:30 »
I'm with Robert here.  Dig a bean trench and bury it, beans not fussy. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal