Author Topic: Badgers - what's safe to grow?  (Read 1289 times)

florence

• Not So New ...
Badgers - what's safe to grow?
« on: February 25, 2017, 17:01:40 »
Hi there, I hope you might be able to advise about sharing a plot with badgers....
I already have 1 allotment elsewhere on our site. I've just taken on another half of allotment which is currently overgrown - there is a badger set at the bottom of the other half plot. I like badgers and am looking forward to seeing them but would like to know what they are likely to eat from my plot that it's not worth growing. I know that I'll need to grow sweetcorn on my first plot but what else should I avoid growing?
Does anyone know if they'll eat broad beans and peas for example? What about things like dahlia tubers and winter squash? They have a run near the bottom of my first plot and only seem to go for sweetcorn and dig occasionally for worms but are they likely to be more of a problem on the second plot that is close to the set?
Thank you for any information.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Badgers - what's safe to grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 18:47:01 »
Here, luckily, they only seem interested in taking sweetcorn and the occasional ripe squash. Good luck!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 23:04:39 »
In our case they don't seem to eat the produce but they often disturb it to get at the invertebrates they want to eat.

for example because my potato bed is always well manured this breeds worms etc so they dig the rows to get at them this results in the potatoes being tossed around.

I have also noticed they prefer beds that are well mulched as again this is a breeding place for invertebrates.

So my advice is: don't create breeding areas for invertebrates.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:51 »
sweetcorn and carrots here, as well as generally making a mess in their search for worms etc.

Badgers appear to be creatures of habit, taking the same route through our site (there is no sett here). in 2015 a neighbouring plot holder was picked on by Mr. Badger. He persistently feasted on her carrots no matter what barriers she put in the way.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 14:27:30 »
They go for anything that's sweet basically ... I've had them take strawberries and they're very messy when they do!

You'll be safe with potatoes, brassicas and salads though ... not sure about peas and beans.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal