Author Topic: Neglected strawberries  (Read 2135 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Neglected strawberries
« on: February 24, 2017, 17:00:40 »
I had a fantastic crop of strawberries 2 years ago but they were completely swamped with grass by the end of the season. So last year I pulled out as much grass as I could and put down some weed suppressant and planted some of the old plants and some runners through that. I was repaid with hardly any fruit and a plague of ants which ate the few fruit there were. I was so fed up I gave up on them and didn't cut any runners off, in fact I neglected them completely. Had a look today and there are new leaves but i'm guessing the runners, which haven't been able to root because of the fabric, will have taken all the energy from the main plants? Is it worth trying to pamper them back to life or should I dig the whole lot up and start again? :BangHead:

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Neglected strawberries
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15:33 »
I'd say it's worth a go! Was your weed proof fabric porous? Ants usually like pretty dry soil so it made me wonder if they were just to dry? I would try dumping a load of manure / compost on top of the weed proof, the strawberries will power through it if they are alive. If nothing else you'll get a crop of runners to form next years new bed. Good luck with it. X sunloving

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 14:56:25 »
some of my best plants are those that rooted thru bark chipping into membrane give them a go and if you have the room but half a dozen just incase
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 14:44:09 »
Take your garden shears to them, clip out all the old outer leaves,runner strings and any excessive plants, old straw and blown leaves. Weed as you go. Leave the crowns and new foliage if any (mine have not woken up yet!) Top dress with poultry pellets and watch them revive. Suggest you harvest new runners this year into pots and start a new bed for next year. Its a fair idea to add two rows on one edge while scrapping two rows on the other edge, slowly rotating your strawberry bed across your plot.This gives scope to increase the amount or add new varieties to extend their season.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 17:08:10 »
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely try to revive them and buy a few new ones as well. Which variety would you recommend to fruit this year?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 17:30:08 »
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely try to revive them and buy a few new ones as well. Which variety would you recommend to fruit this year?

At this time of the year I would possibly go for a variety that has been 'chilled' These are plants that have been placed in cold storage and brought out as soon as the weather picks up.

Their claim to fame is that they will fruit within 12-13 weeks of planting out.

I tried some from Marshalls a few years ago and they performed quite well but they don't appear to do them but Ken Muir seem to do, have a read hear and see if they do the same.;

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=171_188

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 18:59:28 »
i agree with tg soon there will be all sorts of frozen runners on the market  I've just planted some mailing opal however dont know what they fruit like i was drawn in by the advert i think its all down to personal circumstances what variety you should be late/early or perpetual  im sure one of the adverts will draw you in too
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 22:31:49 »
I purchased 2 varieties last year to start a fresh.  Can't find the receipt to confirm the names but 1 variety produces May/June whilst the other produces Jul/Aug.  After which the first variety produces a second crop Sep/Oct.  The double cropper does not produce as many but still plenty for a family.  The middle crop produced them in abundance to make jam and still eat fresh strawberries. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal