Author Topic: Ideas please...  (Read 1945 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Ideas please...
« on: February 23, 2017, 16:01:32 »
Hi All,

I have taken down the trellis that covered our greenhouse and was looking for tall flowering plants preferably annuals that would partly screen the greenhouse. I would like something that would grow steadily from spring to autumn and then be cut down at the end of the season. something that is shorter in spring and taller in summer to provide some shade. Any ideas??

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Ideas please...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 16:14:40 »
Sweet peas? Cosmos? Sunflowers? :happy7:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 16:23:55 »
Any of the sunflower family but think also about helianthus Lemon Queen which is a tall perennial plant which you can cut back to the ground once flowering finishes in late autumn.  Mulch to protect the roots and it will do it all again every year with very little help from you.

Maybe Jerusalem artichokes?  They'd grow tall by late summer and give you a crop too.
Obxx - Vendée France

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 18:13:47 »
Delphiniums or Verbascum or Hollyhocks i think would work fine.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 19:00:54 »
Hi duke, I second the perennial route something like a Passion flower, golden hop, clematis or other climber. Or hollyhocks if you've got the bed depth Because I find that annuals don't grow tall fast enough to provide decent shade until July. Whereas perennials are already moving in February. My Holly's usually live a good three years.
Good luck with it! X sunloving

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 20:25:14 »
Unless you want to spend your time fighting your way through foliage do not under any circumstances plant Golden Hop. It is a total thug of the worst kind,,Russian Vine bad!
Gardening is the great leveller.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 21:18:40 »
think i would go the Jerusalem artichoke road very pretty flower and good to eat(some say)
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 19:26:51 »
Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' is a perennial that puts on a lot of height in a short space of time. It's becoming quite common now so I think it's relatively easy to find in a garden centre. You can cut it down/divide end of season if it gets too big.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:19 »
Runner beans, they come in three/four colours bonus you can eat the beans, Unwins do a mixed variety called Relay,
Morning glory.  Blackeyed susan  Spanish flag (Ipomoea lobata,)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal