Author Topic: Had a good bit of digging this morning.  (Read 1820 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Had a good bit of digging this morning.
« on: February 22, 2017, 10:47:47 »
Finished the tattie plot ready for the end of next month. It was hard clay when I took the plot on now in the 3rd year and loads and loads of dung it is beautiful to dig. It took me a while this year as I have been having trouble with the old ticker, but a load of tests later and a stern telling off from the Doc I am putting things right. Cycling to the lottie, leccy bike but still have to pedal. Have decided to cut out 80% of the rubbish meat I like to eat and replace it with beans and lentils etc. So feeling quite good for an old codger.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Had a good bit of digging this morning.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 17:33:00 »
The first digging of a new season can come as a shock to all of us.  I had a day off on Monday and did 25 miles on the bike before having a go at a few beds in the afternoon.  I think I pulled something in my ribs or something as they hurt like heck.  I slept well that night though..
Glad to hear your feeling pucker and ready for the off Ace and well done in cutting down on the meat - tricky to do if  that's what you're used to. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 22:12:53 »
Had a good day.  8 barrows of manure dug in for my new raspberry canes, all 18 planted today.  2 ridges dug ready for new strawberry runners.  Some belated winter dig done.  It appears I have a 4-5ft strip  of clay running the length of new plot.  (Just moved plots to the top of our site 2 months ago.  It was a lick out but now taking shape and ready for 2017). 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:55:44 »
Still way too wet for any digging here. I usually have a reprieve till late March - or mid-April if March is soggy. I am itching to get started this year!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:38 »
Lazy boy this morning. I usually dig with a fork this time of year and weed at the same time to prepare the beds but after last nights rain it was just a turn over with the spade, weeds and all. The soil would not shake off of the roots. When it dries a bit I'll give it another go properly.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:37:44 »
That diet should certainly put some wind in your sails, Ace

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:21:35 »
That diet should certainly put some wind in your sails, Ace

Certainly does. Leccy bike has not needed turning on yet.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal