Author Topic: Out of date seeds  (Read 1749 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Out of date seeds
« on: February 19, 2017, 20:08:42 »
Looking through my seed box, some (most) of my seeds are out of date.Why did I buy 4 packets of over 1000 parsnips, well I like them. I think I will throw them, maybe on the allotment.  Luckily my yellow courgettes are in date.  Why did I buy so many packets as a bargain.  My sweet peas are OK and I have saved seed, and my saved runner beans and some climbing peas.  Toms are very out of date.  While maybe soon I trip to the seed shop.

hartshay

• Not So New ...
  • Growing slowly
Re: Out of date seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 21:00:45 »
Parsnips don't last particularly well but if it was me I would chuck them all in a row and thin what comes up. Toms last ages ... I have had good germinations from 10 yr old tom seeds. If seeds are kept generally cool and dry many of them far exceed the use by dates.   

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 22:06:05 »
There are several websites with tables of seed lifespans. Courgettes and other cucurbits should last for several years. Don't treat sow by dates as absolute. You can test germination of a % of the seeds on damp tissue paper in a warm place - you can also use this method to pre-germinate larger seeds which are best sown individually so you don't waste time, space & potting compost on dud seeds.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:00:22 »
Me too !  :coffee2: Last year I tried the  " germinating a few parsnip seeds on damp paper towel " thing ..and it worked !
Those were an out of date packet of parsnip seeds by one year . It is fiddly to then plant the tiny fragile newly germinated root , without breaking it.....but I got about 8 parsnips from doing this . Not prizewinner size by any means , but not too bad for our Sunday  lunch .  Having fun seed packet sorting , has anyone got a sensible routine for this ? Debbie   :wave:
Trespassers will be composted !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal