Author Topic: Polytunnel - tips on erection and siting please  (Read 2617 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Polytunnel - tips on erection and siting please
« on: February 18, 2017, 13:08:34 »
I've just ordered a polytunnel for our new fruit and veg plot.  It's quite big - 4m wide  x 8m long.   There is also a shade net including for high summer.

I'm planning to erect it facing east with the long sides facing north and south to allow for sun worshippers as wella s plants which need less and there will be a door at either end for ventilation.

It will be used for starting off crops early and ornamentals too and then producing salads and some veggies in the lean months and sheltering tender stuff like dahlias and cannas over winter.

Any tips on making the support poles secure, tying it down, general care and maintenance?   I've only ever had a teeny glasshouse and that in much colder climes.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Polytunnel - tips on erection and siting please
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 13:50:14 »
This website has a wide range of tunnels with video and or PDF's fixing instructions and tips, perhaps this will meet your needs!

https://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk/hobby-range/easy-build-polytunnels.html

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 19:54:28 »
Lovely new adventure, my key tip is fixing the plastic at the doors. Make sure your pleats cause water to flow from the door down and out, otherwise if the are down towards the door water will sit and make your entrance boggy.

Second is that an internal house door on four stakes makes a good cheap table. I've got a row of six doors which make a long bench.

Third make sure you've got your hotspot tape on before you put the cover on!! Good luck and here's to fab growing inside!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 22:24:50 »
Thank you both.  A great help and some good tips.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:06:06 »
I have just finished mine this morning assisted by somebody who would have rather been somewhere else. I placed it so the wind will have the least effect but it is buried so far in and battened down to overkill standards it will never move. I like to take her there when there is hard work to do as she then stays away at other times and the allotment stays as a sanctuary.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 19:57:47 »
You are so bad!
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal