Author Topic: chrysanthemum help please  (Read 2328 times)

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
chrysanthemum help please
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:51:07 »
About six weeks ago I bought six spray chrysanthemum plants and planted them in the polytonal, the plants had been stopped/nipped and there where a few shoots growing from the stem.
These shoots have grown quite a bit now and I think I can just see some buds on a few of them, so my question is do I stop/pinch the tips of these side shoots now. I just want the flowers for taking home and not for showing. I was hoping to get the blooms late on in the year.
Any help would be appreciated.

Alan 
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: chrysanthemum help please
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 13:25:48 »
do I stop/pinch the tips of these side shoots now

No!

Having said that subject to how many buds form on the spray some people remove the centre bud to stop 'crowding' when all the buds open.

Look at the picture below to see what I mean. That is if the centre bud had been removed the flowers would have looked less crowded.

So basically it is up to you if you want to remove the centre bud.

Personally I don't but had I taken the flower head to a show I may have removed the centre flower head.

Having said that; had I removed the centre bud earlier I would not have had this option

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 23:10:01 »
Thanks for the reply Tee Gee, I will follow your advice.

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:47 »
On the subject of chrysanthemums, I had a beautiful pink one in a pot, bought for me two weeks or so ago.  The flowers are just beginning to die now and I was hoping to put the plant in my garden.  Should I remove all the blooms please, prior to planting it out?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:08:59 »
Should I remove all the blooms please, prior to planting it out?

Sorry I have to give you a yes and no answer to your question:

Yes you can remove the dead flowers

No Don't plant it out!

Chrysants are more half hardy, rather than hardy as a rule, so if we get a hard winter you will most likely lose it!

I would just leave it in its pot and store it in a frost free (not warm) place until next until  spring.

Who know it might send up some basal growth and you can take cuttings so rather than potentially losing your plant you could end up with more.

Click on this link to see how to over-winter your plant.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Chrysanthemum/Chrysanthemum.htm

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 14:46:08 »
Thanks for your reply, Tee Gee.  I will have to put it in a polystyrene box in the greenhouse and put fleece over it as the gh is unheated. 

By giving it that treatment, I managed to keep a Gerber plant safe throughout the last winter.  I took the fleece off on warm days and gave the plant some water.  When it was time to put it outside, it was covered in buds and then gave a beautiful display. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal