Author Topic: what apple have your say  (Read 1719 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
what apple have your say
« on: February 17, 2017, 14:20:59 »
i went to ken muirs yesterday to buy a espalier tree for my new seating area  boy have they gone up £55 upward so that was a rich for my pocket however they have a bargin basement so i headed off in that direction and to my surprise there was a lost label espalier for the princely sum of £10 pounds now i think ive got it down to 2 possible varieties a bramley or a discovery what do you think and hopefully ill know come the autumn     
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: what apple have your say
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 18:26:18 »
Well I certainly lack the skill to make a reliable identification based on the photograph.

But on any given rootstock a Bramley will usually produce a very much more vigorous tree than other varieties, and, of course, a Bramley is both a triploid and also a partial tip bearer, and as a result of these three properties I thought it was rare to find them trained as an espalier.

For these reasons only I'd suggest probably not a Bramley.

Anyway, it looks like at least a three year old tree. With luck a little blossom in spring and maybe just let one or two apples grow to maturity and all will be revealed. I think that's something really nice to look forward to.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: what apple have your say
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 19:51:54 »
Well I certainly lack the skill to make a reliable identification based on the photograph.

But on any given rootstock a Bramley will usually produce a very much more vigorous tree than other varieties, and, of course, a Bramley is both a triploid and also a partial tip bearer, and as a result of these three properties I thought it was rare to find them trained as an espalier.
For these reasons only I'd suggest probably not a Bramley.

Anyway, it looks like at least a three year old tree. With luck a little blossom in spring and maybe just let one or two apples grow to maturity and all will be revealed. I think that's something really nice to look forward to.

i already have a bramley espalier also a adams pearmain also a partial tip bearer they fruit really well in my orchard i have around 40 trees of  apple pear apricot peach cherry and plums all various varieties so ive based my assumption on the bark type these two varieties are the closest i can get but yes its really exciting to see thanks for the reply so its one for the discovery camp lets hope i can get a fruit or two so can post pics of the outcome i agree about the age i thought its around 3 years old  for not bad for a tenner  cheers beersmith
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal