Author Topic: fleece  (Read 1871 times)

ACE

• Hectare
fleece
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:03 »
I was just reading about the oceans being contaminated with micro plastics, They say fleece is a big contributor as it breaks up easy and gets carried in the wind. It is used more and more commercially to get crops to grow quicker and into the shops faster so I expect it is the big commercial users who they will be blaming. But nearly everyone of us uses it, just add up the acreage on all the allotments world wide and we make a big contribution. I think I will go back to collecting old  cotton window netting to use instead.

pumkinlover

Re: fleece
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 13:02:48 »
Interesting information. I didn't even realise that it is made from plastic.
I thought you were referring to the real stuff of which there is a large amount in my loft. Maybe it could be another use for wool which is sadly virtually worthless. Even if it only lasted a season or two it could be composted if they could come up with something to strengthen the fibres and hold them together.
Dragons den anyone?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 13:18:02 »
Just been offered some Chiltern Barn Cloches so might help a bit , just need a degree in engineering to assemble them!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 15:40:46 »
Maybe it could be another use for wool which is sadly virtually worthless.

Well no need to sit around all winter waiting for spring, we will all be busy with the crochet hook making fleece from old unpicked woolly jumpers. The allotments will certainly be colourful with the hippy waistcoat squares.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 21:32:47 »
Worries me too ...plastics in general ..it all worries me ..I see every size down to almost sand grain size pellets of plastic washed up on our local beaches.  It is a big problem .I also didn't realise that "fleece "was made of plastic ....sigh .
Trespassers will be composted !

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 21:47:24 »
Well said Ace!

In any event I'd not recommend the stuff. The stuff I used seemed to degrade very rapidly once exposed to sunlight and the elements. I used it one season but that was enough. Never again. It rapidly turned to dust and was not cheap either.

I do have some far more robust "insect netting" that shows no sign of breakdown after several seasons. I hope this is less environmentally damaging long term. I'd be disappointed to stop using this as it offers great pest protection (including carrot fly) without chemicals.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal