Author Topic: elephant garlic bulbils  (Read 3184 times)

philistine

• Not So New ...
elephant garlic bulbils
« on: February 15, 2017, 22:53:55 »
Anybody had any success in propagating from these ?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: elephant garlic bulbils
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 23:26:53 »
None whatsoever. So I gave up on that form of propagation and now only plant the cloves . Fifty this year enough for a years supply and for replanting for next season. They keep much better than ordinary garlic and a lot less fiddly to prepare.

Each year one or two of the bulbs make 'rounds' rather than split into individual cloves pretty much like ordinary garlic can. Up to now I never had any success planting these either. (the idea is that you harvest an extra large elephant garlic head) This year one has grown  looking as a shallot would look with a tuft of shoots so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I no longer grow the temperamental real garlic. Elephant garlic is a better crop in my view. :happy7:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:46 »
I keep meaning to have a go with Elephant Garlic as it's so nice and mild roasted, not to mention huge, but I keep forgetting to order the bulbs in time!

It has a very different taste to proper garlic though, I'd never replace one with the other ... nothing beats the clean taste of a good hardneck garlic when it's nice and fresh.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 14:32:00 »
this year is my first year of the elephant i was given 5 cloves by a friend to eat however i left them in the shed and not wanting to waste them i planted them in a do or die mission all five are now around 2" high which i must admit i had my doubts them growing at all  but no all strong and healthy  i too love the taste it was the price that put me off but now i will save ten cloves this year and eat the rest
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

hartshay

• Not So New ...
  • Growing slowly
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 21:02:27 »
Elephant garlic is like a weed on my plot they keep popping up all over the place every year....

wargarden2017

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:15:37 »
Elephant garlic grows more like leeks then garlic.
As they are derived from leeks as breed by  Luther Burbank.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 18:42:49 »

Why were they bred from leeks by Luther Burbank?  Where do you get that from wargarden?  They do however occur growing wild in coastal areas in Britain.  :wave:

wargarden2017

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 19:44:30 »
the source had on this was supposedly debunked about its origins.
as to relating to leek that what Wikipedia say.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 20:23:51 »

Why were they bred from leeks by Luther Burbank?  Where do you get that from wargarden?  They do however occur growing wild in coastal areas in Britain.  :wave:
they are growing well here on the sunshine coast  galina  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 14:18:26 »
Yes johhnyco15 and here too.   We are as far away from any coast as you can get in England!   :icon_cheers:

And our heavy alkaline clay is very different from sandy coastal soil too.   :sunny:

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 22:15:04 »
Growing them for the first time, but only planted them a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if that will give them a long enough growing season.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 08:32:05 »
Even if it doesn't (I suspect you'll be OK) they'll still grow and give you bigger bulbs to replant.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal