Author Topic: replace raspberries  (Read 2088 times)

davholla

• Hectare
replace raspberries
« on: February 13, 2017, 15:24:02 »
According to the press
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9481098/A-foolproof-guide-to-growing-raspberries.html
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/garden/341265/Alan-Titchmarsh-helps-you-enjoy-the-fruits-of-your-labours

You need to replace raspberries every 10 years, mine were planted 10 years ago and are pretty rubbish now (they are Autumn Bliss).

How can you plant them in the same place as before or is it impossible?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: replace raspberries
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 22:01:10 »
I don't think the period over which raspberries remain healthy and productive is fixed. Rather it is an issue of trying to keep them healthy with proper feeding and care. If you can avoid serious pests and diseases, especially virus problems, I've heard of them going for 15 years.

Alas it sounds as if your's are deteriorating. In which case new canes in a different spot would be ideal.

If they must go into the same ground most books recommend replacing all the soil to at least one spit deep. I do not have any direct experience of doing this so cannot confirm how well it would work.

It might be worth giving them one more year - provide a lot of TLC by pruning to open up next year's growth and make it very airy, give them a good feed and see how next year goes. No improvement? Perhaps then go nuclear and replace the lot!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 22:08:12 »
Sorry for the P.S.

Autumn bliss are an autumn fruiting variety so you should have pruned all old canes back to ground level by now anyway. Perhaps just thin them in the spring a bit more than usual so you have a smaller number of sturdier canes later next year.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 22:29:53 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 00:28:28 »
I replaced Autumn Bliss with JoanJ a couple of years ago in the same place - after digging and plying with lots of manure. No problems and good harvest each year with only a top dressing of chicken manure pellets in Spring.

Tricia :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:49:45 »
Of course if you leave even a tiny amount of roots in the ground ... you'll end up with a mix of the old and new varieties!  Raspberries seem to be immortal!

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:26:41 »
No problem if you love them

ps I love all the smileys  :happy7:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 19:46:56 »
Mine are autumn fruiting, though not sure of the variety. I inherited them from the previous tenant in 1999 and they are still doing well. I do tend to move them around though. They can get a bit cramped over time. They seem to respond well to being given a new spot. I've never really understood why the stock should need replacing, though I wouldn't move any canes I thought were defective.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 20:44:01 »
if the canes are free from cane blight then indeed replant in the same place no problem  raspberry  will crop longer than ten years however the size of the fruit  gets smaller  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 21:55:25 »
Sorry for the P.S.

Autumn bliss are an autumn fruiting variety so you should have pruned all old canes back to ground level by now anyway. Perhaps just thin them in the spring a bit more than usual so you have a smaller number of sturdier canes later next year.

I do that every year and it worked for about 6 years.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 21:56:26 »
I replaced Autumn Bliss with JoanJ a couple of years ago in the same place - after digging and plying with lots of manure. No problems and good harvest each year with only a top dressing of chicken manure pellets in Spring.

Tricia :wave:
How did you do this?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal