Author Topic: Onion Sets in modules  (Read 3183 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Onion Sets in modules
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:15:46 »
One of my plot neighbours used to put her onion sets into modules before planting out.  She did always have very good large onions.  If this worth the effort?
Though I might try with one 12 space module set.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Onion Sets in modules
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:27:45 »
I'm doing it this year.  Needs must as I have bought red onion sets but have no beds yet for planting them and I didn't want to miss the boat while the stocks are in.
Obxx - Vendée France

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 14:12:11 »
I have done mine in modules for years. This way I know which onion sets are growing before I put them in the ground. It also means less space wasted. I always hated seeing gaps left by sets that fail. This way no gaps👍🏻👍🏻
DUke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 14:26:33 »
Like Duke I have done this for years, although this year I won't be this year because I am growing my onions from seed.

Been a bit disenchanted with sets over the last few years.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 21:43:07 »
In previous years, due to saturated ground and being 'plot less' (but confident!), I have very successfully established sets in the carry trays that garden centres have their basket plants, generally 70mm pots x18.
These generally have large drainage holes 12mm dia, and hold a good handful of compost.They enable good root growth, which tends to run around the recess holding the compost together until its fit to plant out without disturbance( generally mid march). They need not be accommodated indoors, just placed on a shelf of slats in a sunny location and sparingly watered if rain does not fall. I have never had birds disturb them, unlike direct planting, and its easy to spot the roots underneath, indicating that they are eager to escape.I, too , am growing onions from seed ,but expect I shall back-up with some sets as well.These trays are 'freely available' at garden centres, just for the cheek of asking!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 23:21:23 »
Like TeeGee I'm becoming disenchanted with sets... but haven't yet reverted to seeds... so I start them off in cells.. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:26:54 »
Many Thanks for this.  I have never had many missing sets, though the birds do sometimes dig them up.  It is just the result are small.    Also its very cold now at the plot, they will be warmer on the windowsill.  And it will be warmer putting them in.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:38 »
woops i have planted my shallot bulbs in the trugs as garlic is romping away wondering now if that was the right thing to do and if i could cover with something?

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 16:15:37 »
I've had good results the last couple of years growing the banana shallot 'Zebrune' (essentially a long single-bulb onion rather than a true clumping shallot) from seeds sown in modules or soil blocks. About 5 seeds per module / 1.5" block. Start them off in the greenhouse - need to sow this year's in the next week or so - then just plant out the whole clumps spaced about 7" each way.

LottieLil

• Not So New ...
  • Portsmouth, the sunny south coast
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 17:56:31 »
Hi everyone, newbie here!

I think I am going to like it here with great ideas like this!

I have got lots of digging still to do, so planting the sets in trays is a wonderful idea to get them started!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Has a 5 rod plot in Portsmouth.

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 19:49:55 »
Like Digeroo, I thought I'd give onion sets in modules ago. So I took myself off to my local Wilkos and bought a bag of white and red onion sets. They looked pretty good value, but on closer examination less than half of them were usable. What a false economy they were, it's off to dobbies for me, you know you're going to get a quality product from there.  :BangHead:
Paul

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 19:58:38 »
Marlborough, do us all this favour. On your way to Dobbies, take your purchase back to Wilko, see the manager and give him your unbiased opinion of his merchandise. You will get your money back. Its not his fault but the "witch of Manton Wood" needs to know,( That storing perishable plantlets in warm,dark places and stockpiling a seasons worth) has caused you to increase his experience thus.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 20:19:50 »
i got mine from wilkos and they were fine  think you may have been unlucky as ancellsfarmer said take them back and get either a replacement or a refund
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 07:34:11 »
Hi lottielil, welcome to the forum,

Hop over to the newbie introduction thread and tell us more about yourself, happy gardening , x sunloving. 

Hi everyone, newbie here!

I think I am going to like it here with great ideas like this!

I have got lots of digging still to do, so planting the sets in trays is a wonderful idea to get them started!

Thanks for the inspiration!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:41 »
Mine also from wilko delivery had just arrived so had the pick of the box and all good solid usable bulbs :) now to keep the birds off them!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 11:26:58 »
Set my sets in trays on Tuesday... despite my reservations expressed earlier.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 14:09:26 »
I've had good results the last couple of years growing the banana shallot 'Zebrune' (essentially a long single-bulb onion rather than a true clumping shallot) from seeds sown in modules or soil blocks. About 5 seeds per module / 1.5" block. Start them off in the greenhouse - need to sow this year's in the next week or so - then just plant out the whole clumps spaced about 7" each way.

Sowed mine a week ago on the window-ledge :D Mine are sown singly so they grow quite big(hopefully!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal