Author Topic: i'm finally off  (Read 2971 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
i'm finally off
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:13:02 »
Set my first broadbeans to chit on the windowsill, that was a bit cold so have moved them.
Have earmarked next Tuesday forecast 9C to get them into my plot.  All but one have swollen and one already has a tiny root.   It is supposed to be sunny on Monday so hope to cover the area in plastic for a quick warm up. 
Following week is forecast warm so hopefully they will get off to a good start.   

Ordered some blackcurrant bushes which arrived Thursday, managed to nip down and shove them it before my fingers fell off,  my was it cold!  They will get a mulch of manure when the weather warms a little.

I have ordered some more different varieties which are supposed to be good eaten fresh as berries,  has anyone else tried any of the Cassissima range from Lubera. 

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: i'm finally off
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:55:40 »
Well I've been "off" for some time. :icon_cheers:

I too ordered a Lubera blackcurrant - Cassissima Noiroma. Not so much for the flavour, after all a jostaberry has a mild blackcurrant flavour, as for the size of the fruit.

Being a rather pricey item I managed to take a couple of hardwood cuttings after planting to mitigate the cost. Perhaps we can compare notes in the summer.

On the subject of blackcurrants a Malling Jet has been planted purchased from another supplier. This variety is late maturing, as late as august perhaps.  Hopefully it will extend the season. :happy7:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:15:37 »
Exciting times, i am also "off" transplanted garlic in Jan, have planted a new rhubarb bush, and also popped my shallot sets in this weekend.

Will be starting runner beans and early peas off this week and have been resting getting the rest of my seeds out but i think its time i start to go through these.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 14:57:53 »
Hi Ya, don't know where you all garden but here there is still a chance of frost until early May. I am tempted to sow some stuff like onions but as for runner beans it has to be April at the earliest. Even planting out spuds in March you have to watch out. I do sow indoors in the greenhouse and then also in a mini G/H with a parafin frost beater but I have been caught before going to early and regretted it. Good luck all and go fir it. I will wait a while yet. happy days

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 15:19:00 »
I've started leeks, sprouts, aubergines, chillies, marigolds and summer PSB at home in trays/pots. Spuds are under the bed.
As the weather has been nice in Essex I've also tired a row or lettuce and radish under  cloche outside.

Check it out here http://dickyfarm.blogspot.co.uk

Dicky

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 18:39:14 »
Cambourne,  by all means start peas and broad beans, but not runner beans and French beans.  Far too early for them  :wave:

Exciting times, i am also "off" transplanted garlic in Jan, have planted a new rhubarb bush, and also popped my shallot sets in this weekend.

Will be starting runner beans and early peas off this week and have been resting getting the rest of my seeds out but i think its time i start to go through these.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 15:51:25 »
My first chitted broadbeans are now outside, all covered in plastic bottles.  So far these are still outwitting the squirrels.  And some mangetout as well.  It will be April before I start the runners. 

Another batch of broadies and peas now on the windowsill.   

The family of mice in my compost bin seem to have disappeared, can no longer see them when I lift the lid.  The hedgehog is making quite a mess.  The mulch from round the blackcurrants is now all over the grass path. 

Blackcurrant buds seem to be beginning to open, seems rather early.   

I went for Cassissima Neva I liked the fact is it so tall.  Supposed to be about 5ft. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 16:32:36 »
I am enjoying being a lazy so and so until the end of the month.  Done a bit of prep down the plot but only sown some Chillies indoors and some leeks and radish in the poly so far.
My overwintered BB look pretty good as does the garlic - Onions are a bit patchy but not too bad.

Might bung some Red Alert toms on but nothing much else for a a few weeks - then full on!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 16:55:22 »
Sunshine today and I've had a stinking cold all week which is nearly gone so I made myself go to the plot. Cut down my raspberries and did a bit of hoeing. Not much but it's a start!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 17:44:17 »
planted out my barcelona cauliflowers  today it was a really nice sunny day its forecast to rain tonight  which should bed them in nicely
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 17:56:44 »
I had to plant  my onions out today because I put them in modules early Feb and most of them were nearly 6 ins high so needed to get them out hope I did right I have covered them with netting to protect them and hope its not to early
Barnsley S Yorks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 18:02:42 »
I had to plant  my onions out today because I put them in modules early Feb and most of them were nearly 6 ins high so needed to get them out hope I did right I have covered them with netting to protect them and hope its not to early
not sure about your neck of the woods i can get a little chilli up north however onions are hardy little fellows im sure they will be fine

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 18:07:11 »
Some of my broadbeans have little green shoots showing.  Someone has taken off some off the plastic bottles, such a bind.  Storm Doris a couple of weeks ago took the ones off the peas but the broadies stayed tucked up, so they should not have moved since.
If the bottles move the squirrels will move in, I do not want them to think they might want to move the bottles and have a picnic.
Always difficult to know when to move the bottles, too soon and the squirrels eat the bean leave the rest of the plant to die, too late and the plant goes leggy.   Need a warm still day or the wind will terrify the little plants to death.
Just planted out a couple of Tesco parsley pots, divided into eight.   So hopefully 8 clumps of parsley.  They did not like the wind either, so they got some plastic bottles as well.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 14:52:57 »
summer raspberries have just come into leaf blueberries are budding up nicely along with apricot, peach   and necterine lets hope these not a cold spell around the corner

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 15:26:18 »
onion sets just starting to pop out of the soil :)  :blob7:

Hoping to get in sunday and sew a few other things.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 13:46:47 »
apricot alfred is nearly in full bloom will get the paintbrush out tomorrow to  do a bit of hand pollinating

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 06:00:03 »
I have leeks and courgettes indoors. Yes, I know it's too early for courgettes, just couldn't wait. And today I will put in shallots. The sun is shining so even here Spring must be here and I can't wait to get going on the plot.
near Copenhagen, Denmark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal