Author Topic: Anyone seen Yuzu (possibly the hardiest delicious citrus)  (Read 1364 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
I've seen quite a lot of unusual citrus appearing in garden centres recently (limequats, kumandarins etc.), and I've also found a few mail order sites that sell Yuzu, but I'd really rather buy one hands-on in a shop.

Has anyone seen Yuzu for sale first-hand? Preferably in the SE or a nationwide chain - I would almost certainly buy one even without knowing what rootstock they used (I've read they are very slow on the commonest ones - in fact anything other than citrange).

I might risk buying another one mail-order anyway if I can find one grafted to citrange.

Cheers.

PS. I got really good results from Meyers Lemon in my front garden - often 20 fruit a year until 2010/11 - it survived, just, but only as a 1" stump, and has taken the last 6 years to recover enough to make one fruit - I'd like to try anything even a little bit hardier if it really tastes good (NB. My Poncirus sailed through 2010/11 but doesn't taste good :tongue2: - unless you really want to produce something like curacao).
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Anyone seen Yuzu (possibly the hardiest delicious citrus)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 04:44:07 »
Vinlander, in short no.  But thank you for opening my mind to so many citrus varieties I have never encountered before.  Google hour coming up.  Apart from Meyer lemon, all were new to me.   :wave:

Good luck finding one. 

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:44:02 »
Sorry I can't help with your question. I have heard of it but have been trying to avoid citrus whilst I get my head round everything else. 

When you say your poncirus doesn't taste good, do you mean fresh or full stop? (I thought it was for cooking and preserving)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 13:53:21 »

When you say your poncirus doesn't taste good, do you mean fresh or full stop? (I thought it was for cooking and preserving)

Poncirus fruit looks good and smells good, but.when you scrape/zest it there is an extreme bitterness that limits it's uses… It is good in alcohol where the bitterness is to my taste. Apparently you can use a few whole fruit to make 1kg or so of good marmalade with ordinary oranges, but I don't use marmalade much, maybe a spoonful or two a year.

I need to be more aware of my own assumptions when I post here - you see I really don't rate cooked fruit very highly; I don't like fruit in pies or stewed or jams, jellies etc. in fact anything except maybe as a highlight in savouries or  tagines - and that's mostly dried stuff anyway (which I love).

I always say there are two kinds of fruit lovers in the world, if you offer a good apple pie or a good apple i will always choose the apple (though I am VERY picky), and some will always choose the pie.

I would only be torn if it was pears in red wine vs. an ordinary  mass-market pear!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal