Author Topic: Long handled pruning saws  (Read 2177 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Long handled pruning saws
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:58:21 »
Has anyone any experience of using these? Weight? Ease of use? Need to reduce the height of some fruit trees and finding it hard to reach from steps and not keen on ladders.
TIA
Gardening is the great leveller.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Long handled pruning saws
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 13:08:34 »
i have a battery operated mini chainsaw from mantis  its a great little tool  i bought it second hand runs for around an hour before recharge had it two years now its never let me down hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 13:16:25 »
I have a Wolf pruning saw head which attaches to any of their handles so I can have a short, medium or long handle depending on what I'm pruning.    It's very good.
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 13:42:36 »
I have a 14' Professional Corona Tree Pruner. I have had it about 10 years with the same blade and the same saw blade. It is telescopic and is a bit heavy when you have it fully extended. Having said that it has served me well over the years and is extremely sharp. I put a drop of oil on the saw and it goes through anything. I looked at the cheaper ones and I had concerns on the blade mechanisms. The Corona has a small chain to drive the blade and it will cut branches up to one inch. Anything above that I use the saw.
My brother has a Draper electric long reach pole saw which I find much too heavy plus it is no where near as long as my Corona.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 14:15:24 »
Thanks Plot 22 but I think the price of that one is a bit out of my league.
Obelixx. How is the weight when attached to a long handle?
Gardening is the great leveller.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 14:54:21 »
Hi Ya, I to have a wolf pruner with extending handle and lopper. They are a bit pricier than other tools but as Obelixx says they fit ant handle. I have just had a professional help with my large apple tree and he told they like the wolf tools. They are very sharp and like any thing you use at a distance can be cumbersome. I like mine and would recommend it to any one. Hope that helps

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 16:59:04 »
Not heavy Palustris and you can get a log wooden handle as well as the polymer ones.  I find the long handle helps me get better purchase on some of the thicker branches as I can spread my hands better but the blade is still really sharp and effective after nearly 30 years of use - not every day obviously.  I do clean it and put some WD40 on for winter storage.
Obxx - Vendée France

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 17:42:46 »
The Wolf ones are fantastic for the price, I use a silky which is very expensive but cuts like you would not believe. The newer wolf saw is much better than the older type as it is a wee bit thicker and has offset teeth that makes it very very quick but it can only be used on the wooden shafts or the extension pole as the handle is is a slide over type and not butt fit like the old one, but it has many advantages over the older one, the main ones being it has a handle built into it so there is not messing around when you want to use it as a handsaw and like i said the tooth layout.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 18:20:22 »
See:
http://www.toolbank.com/0/p/BAH3846T
Swedish quality steel-very sharp and stays like it.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 20:03:16 »
Small bow saw gaffer taped to an extending window cleaning pole. Done me for years, a new blade now and again, cheap and cheerful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal