Author Topic: Split Trunk on a Lilac Tree -repair or the chop?  (Read 4800 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Split Trunk on a Lilac Tree -repair or the chop?
« on: February 02, 2017, 20:19:14 »
I have an old lilac tree (more that 25 years old!) in our back garden and there is a long split (about 2 foot long)down the trunk on the left hand side. I would say the gap at its largest at the tope end is a couple of inches wide. If I took it out I would lose about a third of the tree. However it has been suggested that I simply put a tie around the crack to stop it getting bigger.
Would it work or should I give that section of the tree the chop?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Split Trunk on a Lilac Tree -repair or the chop?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 20:28:32 »
I reckon take it out.  My lilac had bacterial blight a few years back (leaves and flowers turned brown and died back looking awful) ... the advice was to prune it within an inch of it's life, right to the ground.  A couple of years later and it's back to the same size it was and healthy.  I think they're difficult to kill!

If mine can lose the whole of the tree and survive - yours can survive losing a third.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:03:45 »
I would suggest removing it.  It will be a source of infection.  2/3rd of a tree is better than no tree at all.  It will also show you whether there is any infection below the split.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 22:19:30 »
My main problem to date has been wood pigeons eating the leaves in the summer. Apparently they are a mild narcotic for them! Not seen any with rotating eyeballs as yet!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 17:31:12 »
Just read this ..Oh I do hope you haven't chopped it down ! I would definitely do the bandage thing . ...I had a plum tree which split in the gales  during last Autumn. I bandaged it with plastic tape and it has healed beautifully ... I will give it a bit longer time and then remove the tape .
Lilac is such a lovely tree and heavenly scented flowers..worth saving !  Debbie   :angel11:
Trespassers will be composted !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:44 »
Even if it is cut back, lilac's extremely tough, and it'll grow back. I've got some in my hedge; I coppiced it way back, and it just grew back again perfectly happily.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 13:30:41 »
Yeah - don't worry woodypecks ... you can't kill lilac just by chopping it down!  It's like Elder!

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 20:28:54 »
Well an update. In the end I had the whole main stem that had the crack in it cut down to the base. Turned out it was hollow all the way through. Glad I did as Storm Doris struck a few days later!
I've got a number of other stems on the lilac that look fine so I should have some flowers this year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal