Author Topic: Registration problems?  (Read 7997 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Registration problems?
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:35 »
Hi there, 

I have a friend who has had an error message attempting to register for this forum.  Does anyone know what might be up?  Is there any advice I can give her?

Thanks

John

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Registration problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 13:21:59 »
In the last few days I had to fill in my username and password on 3 separate occasions (including the usual business of not remembering my password and having to retrieve it by getting it sent to my email address).  Not sure why this was, but it seems that there have been a few hiccups with this forum my end as well.  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 17:47:47 »
I have a friend who has had an error message attempting to register for this forum.  Does anyone know what might be up?  Is there any advice I can give her?
John

It would be useful to know what the error message is - if you have it? It could be a message from the site or just a browser error message.  Was it repeated - did she try again??

In the last few days I had to fill in my username and password on 3 separate occasions (including the usual business of not remembering my password and having to retrieve it by getting it sent to my email address).  Not sure why this was, but it seems that there have been a few hiccups with this forum my end as well.  :wave:

The autologin feature has been working fine and no other reports of it failing.  Often this is down to the end users PC\browser and how it treats and stores cookies but always good to know if users are having issues of any sort.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 17:50:01 »
Thanks for the explanation Nick :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 19:50:45 »
Thanks Nick - I think it's a CAPCHA verification problem ... her error message was 'the letters you typed don't match the letters that were shown in the picture' ... some of these can be so hard to decipher that even genuine people have a problem!  She has tried it 3 times on 2 different browsers.  My guess is that it's on a very difficult setting and she can't decipher the letters she's being asked to enter ... it's so secure even genuine people can't get through.

Is there some way someone with admin access could add her manually by sending an email?  I had this problem on a board I moderate and that was sometimes the easiest way.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 19:53:15 »
Ah .. more info ... apparently the CAPCHA letters aren't even showing on either Chrome and Internet Explorer.  I suspect no-one who wants to can register in that case.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 18:33:53 »
Yes I have tried three browsers with the same result as you.  I dont have that level of control over the site being a mere mod but you are correct it is broken.  I'll PM Dan the owner and admin.

Odd though as there were 7 spammers who managed to sign up today (they all got deleted)

Cheers for bringing this up...

Nick

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 14:34:48 »
She still can't join the forum, the problem is the same one.  I'm assuming that means that no-one else can join either.

Anyway - she was asking if I could see if there was any progerss with this.  Any news would be gratefully received.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 10:22:53 »
I have tried raising Dan the admin but no luck so I have messaged all the other mods.  However none of us have admin rights over the site - maybe someone knows his mobile..

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 17:32:47 »
Hi,

It should be OK now, Google has changed the reCaptch API  :BangHead:, hopefully all sorted.

Sorry for the delay, turns out that looking after a three month old leaves very little time for anything else!

Thanks
Dan

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 17:41:40 »
Thanks Dan, I feel your frustration ... this happened to me on a board I run elsewhere ... the updates can be a pig to keep on top of.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 18:26:48 »
Cheers Dan!

What I don't get is how spammers kept getting through! 
Mods can see who is registered but not approved and we get to approve or reject them (they generally get blocked as they are on Spam lists) and today I knocked off 9 and now there are 4 more.
Not sure how they managed to get passed to captcha...

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 22:08:26 »
Hooray - thanks for fixing the registration problem - I am now in  :icon_cheers:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 23:01:05 »
Hooray - thanks for fixing the registration problem - I am now in  :icon_cheers:

Welcome to A4A, AnnieD!  :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 23:14:34 »

Yes well done Anne ... welcome aboard ... I don't think I've said that to you for about 15 years!  Good luck with the allotment.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 15:59:46 »

Yes well done Anne ... welcome aboard ... I don't think I've said that to you for about 15 years!  Good luck with the allotment.

Thanks  :sunny:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Ladybird1

Re: Registration problemd
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 09:15:26 »
Please can you tell me how to deregister from Allotments4all?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 11:48:14 »
I can delete your account if you want me to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal