Author Topic: Losing Allotment website hosting -what do other people use?  (Read 4844 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
The Free BT Community Website Builder is closing down and the business is being transferred to a company called Chess. Unless you pay a fee to Chess anyone with an allotment website will lose it from 24th May and it will be deleted. Many allotment websites use BT Community Website Builder so it will affect a lot of us.
I am in the process of looking for other places to host our allotment website -probably by building a new one (I created and ran the current one).
Has anyone who runs their allotment website and suggestions or ideas of the best website builder to go to? We can pay if necessary.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Losing Allotment website hosting -what do other people use?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 15:07:40 »
Has anyone who runs their allotment website and suggestions or ideas of the best website builder to go to? We can pay if necessary.

There are many ways to do this, in my case I did it myself all you need initially is a text editor, I use a very old version of Dreamweaver.

You could do a Google e.g

https://websitesetup.org/web-design-software/

Why not put a link to your current website as a reply to this thread for other A4A user to perhaps come up with ideas, or if you don't want to do that pm me a link and I will have a look at your site then get back to you with any ideas I might get from looking at it.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 20:05:01 »
There are a number of free places you can go and build a site quickly and easily
Most will have some sort of limitation or ad placement..

Wix and Weebly are two of the major ones
Google blogger platform is basic but good enough
Site 123
Wordpress

Have a look at this list
https://www.websitetooltester.com/en/blog/best-free-website-builders/

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tomjett

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 22:24:51 »
The Free BT Community Website Builder is closing down and the business is being transferred to a company called Chess. Unless you pay a fee to Chess anyone with an allotment website will lose it from 24th May and it will be deleted. Many allotment websites use BT Community Website Builder so it will affect a lot of us.
I am in the process of looking for other places to host our allotment website -probably by building a new one (I created and ran the current one).

I would just use wordpress as the website builder, its quite easy to setup. Many hosting companies have a quick install to install it.
As for hosting host presto is pretty cheap and reliable

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal