Produce > Kept Animals

Poor old chickens

(1/2) > >>

Melbourne12:
We went down early to give the hens fresh drinking water and dispose of the ice in their drinkers.  We have two small flocks, each with a spacious covered run, but oh, they look longingly at the grass.  They still have to be kept under cover until the end of February, so well over a month still to go.  And this confinement has been going on since 6th December.

We give them fresh greens and treats, but it's not the same as having a jolly good scratch at the grass under the trees.

johhnyco15:
yes mine are looking on at the garden drinkers were frozen solid this morning -5.7 in the greenhouse its been like that here on the sunshine coast all week and forecast is much of the same this week to come we have light Sussex they are a big bird  and some l/Sussex Rhode island crosses not so big however the cockerel  is having a whale of a time as they cant escape his advances

Stork:
I have three who live in the only patch of garden that never gets any winter sun. I'm a softy so I let them out during the day for a peck and a scratch and a sunbathe. Some of my bulbs are coming up so they may have to suffer a bit more confinement from now on. Still - I built them a swing today so hopefully they'll have fun on that.

Redalder:
Why are you keeping them in?  We never did even in Scotland, used to clear a patch snow so they could see the grass. They stayed in by choice if they didn't fancy the weather.

johhnyco15:

--- Quote from: Redalder on January 23, 2017, 12:55:52 ---Why are you keeping them in?  We never did even in Scotland, used to clear a patch snow so they could see the grass. They stayed in by choice if they didn't fancy the weather.

--- End quote ---
avian flu all birds to kept inside until end of feb defra its not about the the cold just a health scare

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version