Author Topic: Signs of life  (Read 4270 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Signs of life
« on: January 21, 2017, 14:39:02 »
Isn't it a marvelous feeling to see the first signs of life?

This is what I saw this morning:

Exhibition Onions (six days after sowing)

Red Baron Onions

Sweet Peas OK about three months behind Laurie but come flowering time the gap will probably drop to around three weeks!

Sowed a few early Leeks this morning as an experiment usually I sow these in March, I also sowed some Lupins, Lobelia and Pelargoniums (Geraniums as I still know them) so it is steady away from now on.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Signs of life
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 15:20:08 »
What are those on the top shelf?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 15:26:54 »

Freesia from a collection of single & double varieties I got as a cheap end of season purchase last March.

Only the odd one or two flowered last year so hoping for better results this year! otherwise they are destined for the compost heap!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 15:39:25 »

Freesia from a collection of single & double varieties I got as a cheap end of season purchase last March.

Only the odd one or two flowered last year so hoping for better results this year! otherwise they are destined for the compost heap!

i love freesias i leave mine out to fend for themselves always a great show and a fantastic fragrance  a mate of mine gave me some elephant garlic too eat however i left them in the shed so i planted them a couple of months ago not holding out much hope but hey presto today i noticed all 6 are poping out  green shoots thru the frosted earth fantastic i really love that feeling
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 15:48:32 »
i leave mine out to fend for themselves

That is my plan but first I would like to see the colours first so that I can plant them with a view to some colour co-ordination!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 16:12:09 »
oooh lovely, thanks for showing us TG  :sunny:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 20:35:59 »
Mine onions are just starting to show their heads too ... mine are a bit slower to emerge on their cold windowsill!

I'm trying leeks started in January too ... I'd like something big and strong to plant out earlier so I get nice big leeks this year (that was the thinking anyway)

Chillis are also up ... our wood-burning stove alcove has proven to be just the right heat for them and they've come up really quick.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal