Author Topic: Mantis tiller service costs  (Read 2489 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Mantis tiller service costs
« on: February 19, 2017, 19:56:12 »
Having purchased my 4 stroke mantis in 2011, it has had some use but not to excess.  I decided to get it serviced but have been billed £91.  They said £25 was for a handle they replaced which was sticking.  The mantis worked perfectly the day I put it in and nothing was sticking.  It started first time every time.   Absolutely fuming as I would not of agreed to the handle as Iam100% certain everything worked fine.  Awaiting the manager to phone me tomorrow.

But how much have people paid for a mantis service.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Mantis tiller service costs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 21:03:32 »
Im pretty sure that when i had mine serviced they said if any parts/labour required were over £15.00 i would be informed given the choice if i wanted them to go ahead. But I now service it all myself as they are quite basic machines and all parts are available for them.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 15:18:16 »
Hi Ya, I had mine serviced and cost me £80, oil and filters with the air filter as well. I know what you mean as my car went for a service and they rang me and said two tyres were illegal do i want them changing, how much, £260. no. I had a new tyre fitted for £80 two weeks previous. I collected the car and thinking about tyres went to my local tyre expert who examined them and said there was nothing worthy of doing a replacement. It was a dealer who said they were illegal. It made me wonder how many they rip off to make extra money, I think of the older folk who trust them and take their word for it. I did complain to the head office and them but to no avail, no apology or nothing, It will go for it's last service with  them this year then else were, I know they will say it is due it's MOT, another rip off, and ask to do it but they will be told leave well alone and when they ask why I will tell them I don't trust them. It is very annoying.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 19:45:51 »
Having the (dubious) honour of sometime supplying the motor trade (for some12years, ceasing 18 years ago), I can confirm it contains at least the average number of sharps/crooks but you need to take them at face value. If your MOT test comes with a list of fail points, its (probably ) fair. If it comes with a pass but a list of "adviseries", seek a second opinion.You have 7 days to return with rectification of fail points for retest. If you suspect unfair testing, report the test station to the Department. They scrutinise all test stations with routine blind tests. A MOT station is a major investment and loss of licence a heavy penalty. The danger area is the mechanic who gets a test done for you, your contract is with him and leaves you at his mercy. When you find a good one, stick with him, treat him fair and do not expect everything for nothing.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 20:10:20 »
I have had my Mantis for about 8 years and have always done my own servicing.   I was going to send mine off for a service over the winter but changed my mind when I found the service was not now done by Mantis themselves.   I had the service kit and just sent for a couple of other items which arrived very quickly.   I have only used it this year for a very short period as I have just moved to a new plot but it worked very well.   The plot I have taken over was very weedy so found the lawn edger very handy indeed.   As has been said in another post, spares are easily availabdle and servicing is quite straightforward.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal