Author Topic: Fieldfare  (Read 4291 times)

lavenderlux

• Acre
Fieldfare
« on: January 19, 2017, 14:50:27 »
We have a bird table and fatball feeders near our community buildings on our allotments and regularly put out food - mealworms and sunflower hearts on the table plus there are nearby apple trees with lots of fallen fruit on the ground.  Last Saturday we were delighted to see a Fieldfare feeding at the table and then later on the fallen apples.  It is, however, rather a 'bully' as it chases away any Blackbirds which try to feed in this area, although it seems to tolerate the Robin.   It was around again this morning plus two other Fieldfares in our nearby wildlife area.   Last time I saw a Fieldfare on our allotments was in 2004. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Fieldfare
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 21:28:02 »
This cold period typically would have brought both Fieldfares and Redwings to local orchards and pastures but neither are notably visible . Perhaps there has been open country aplenty between N W Hampshire and the Russian Steppe, it is to be hoped they have not been depleted by the Avian flu that has kept our neighbours free-ranging poultry " confined to barracks"
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 11:23:40 »
We usually have quite a few fieldfares and redwings visiting our orchard but this year, I haven't seen any.  maybe they were blown off course and are now feeding

I don't think the Avian Flu is responsible as it is mainly found in the bigger birds such as ducks and geese.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 21:24:39 »
My fear is that your thoughts are precisely correct!
 A dead duck , goose or a few of them would likely be found. A smaller bird may be easily overlooked and even a hundred in a square mile (640 acres) could easily just melt away.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:10:13 »
There are places in the Cotswold particularly near Northleach where there are thousands of them.  They like the haws.

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 08:39:01 »
Plenty of Redwings and Fieldfares around here (rural Herefordshire), especially Redwings. I don't think bird flu affects songbirds to any significant extent - primarily water fowl, game birds (including poultry) and gulls.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 18:13:01 »
The Fieldfares are still about;  I told members of our allotment email group about the fieldfares and several have been keeping a look out for them - and one of our members is a recently retired wildlife warden, and he has now offered to make a bird hide in our community wildlife area.   Our management committee are all in agreement and we are thrilled about this.  Yesterday and today we've been clearing a suitable area, so the hide can go up before the nesting season.

The Haws on our hawthorn bushes and other berries on the trees / shrubs in our wildlife area all went fairly early in the Winter but we still have quite a lot of fallen apples about.   

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:27:27 »
I was out and about over the weekend and saw a few flocks of 15-20 birds, from past years experience they usually have a few Redwings mixed in with them. As they were flying it was difficult to tell for sure.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal