Author Topic: Anyone know any true spinach varieties that give a decent crop?  (Read 3888 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Anyone know any true spinach varieties that give a decent crop. All my attempts over the years  end up with them bolting or producing a measly crop hardly worth eating.
I grow perpetual spinach which is actually not a spinach but a form of Swiss Chard which produces lots of leaves nearly all the year round but I hanker for those delicate leaves one sees in bags in the supermarket.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Anyone know any true spinach varieties that give a decent crop?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:48:47 »
In a word ... no ... I, like you. find it a dreadful crop that germinates very poorly in the ground, bolts if it's transplanted, bolts at the slightest hint of heat, bolts at dry conditions or it stays tiny and gets attacked by slugs/other pests if grown in colder conditions.

I have no idea how they do it commercially.  But you're right, it's a delicious thing even if it turns to nothing when you cook it! and if there's a top tip for success then I'd be as happy as you to hear it.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:51 »
Problems here too, so for now I make do with baby beetroot leaves.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 13:12:26 »
try samish i love it  mr fothergills do it i think
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 19:24:32 »
Usually suffer with the rest of you, so its (one) of this years challenges. Kind of like this article
http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/spinach.php
 so this is the basis for attempting with Samish(Suttons) and Gigante d'Inverno(Suttons).
The gist seems to be start in warm, grow in cool shade,( North side of broadbeans )and water consistantly. Pick early from well spaced plants in double row, and keep fingers crossed. Sowing wk 7(20/02), with view to pick from week 15-(27/04) Here's hoping , will report. Also intend to "sprout" some seed in a sharp sand mix for 1 row, sowing once visibly live, rather than disturbing as seedlings. If it were easy, you could all do it!!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 20:56:46 »
That's an interesting and in-depth article, but ultimately it just confirms my suspicions that true spinach is a fussy and temperamental crop that requires far more molly-coddling than I'm prepared to give it!  Chard it is!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:16:47 »
I did try prickly-seeded "winter" spinach about 30 years ago, but though it was significantly easier to grow the flavour wasn't significantly better than beet/chard leaves that were even easier (wild beet from the seashore is by far the best of these).

I'd be interested to know if the "winter" type has been improved since...?

I find the New Zealand type much nicer than beet/chard (especially for salads) but it does mean picking a lot of 5cm leaves off a trailing plant. Early in the season you can pick whole 'branches' 30-40cm long (any stems that don't snap need chopping into 5mm lengths), but later on the stems get more fibrous and the woody seeds develop in the axils and need removing too.

Incidentally the wild forms of NZ spinach - known as tetragons in France - are much nicer (but even smaller leaves) - they are particularly plentiful in the Canary Islands and have enhanced many holiday meals.

On the same lines chickweed is possibly even more delicious but again, the stringy stems need chopping up. It is easy to gather but be very vigilant that other weeds haven't crept into the bunch - especially the poisonous small spurges - which can spoil your whole month.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:45 »
I sowed a packet of franchi in sept.  It was an old packet so not expecting much.  Had two lovely rows  which I have been grazing on. 

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 15:43:12 »
Hi George I have the same problem with Spinach, doesn't matter how or when I grow it I never get a decent crop  :BangHead:
I still try every year though  lol  :tongue3:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:07:59 »
Just been looking.  It was called America.  Have grown it several times does bolt and go bitter it it gets too hot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal