Author Topic: How long before I see anything  (Read 4439 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: How long before I see anything
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2005, 20:23:14 »
I suppose at the very least organic matter is being put on the soil which will be dragged down by worms and later dug in and will then rot down.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2005, 20:28:44 »
Welcome fellow newbie farmerlaura!

Like Roy B, I'm intrigued by your spud cultivation: hitherto potatoes have messed up my otherwise no-dig approach. I don't like the traditional (trench, earthing up) method because it wrecks soil structure: but given the importance of a successful potato harvest I haven't dared try anything different...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2005, 20:46:54 »
Welcome fellow newbie farmerlaura!

Like Roy B, I'm intrigued by your spud cultivation: hitherto potatoes have messed up my otherwise no-dig approach. I don't like the traditional (trench, earthing up) method because it wrecks soil structure: but given the importance of a successful potato harvest I haven't dared try anything different...

I second the welcome.

TM, the no dig potato culture method is well tried and tested, see http://www.hdra.org.uk/organicgardening/nd_spuds.htm

One down side is that the mulch doesn't provide as much protection as 4" of soil so maybe delaying a couple of weeks past when you would conventiaonally plant might be sensible but, as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained

Phil

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2005, 20:57:19 »
Thanks Phil, I'll definitely give this method a try this year.

Two questions: I haven't got access to organic hay or straw could I use one year old leafmould instead? How do you stop the mulch blowing away?

- Max
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2005, 21:06:38 »
TM,

Any finely chopped organic material will do, lawn mowings for instance, not too thick at any one go or they result will be slimy.

To prevent the material blowing away several sheets of newspaper or cardboard with stones on top, make sure you allow for the sprouts/leaves to come through by making a hole in the covereing

Phil

farmerlaura

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 21:58:08 »
Hya all as you can see I am a newbie. I have not even filled in details properly. I am B-HAM too. I have 3 plots. I cover one with black plastic for a season.
My first I dug  and grew all in a convential manner and did really well. Second plot had been vacant for some 1-2 years. After doing some research and some info. of some cypriot friends, I realised that by using shredded newspaper, leaves and grass cuttings that have had no weed killer etc on I am feeding the soil whilst still using it. Of course there must always be rotation as well each year. With this method for spuds you can put your hand in and pull some small spuds out as and when.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 09:22:55 »
Well done FL, you sound as though you are well on the way to being an organic gardener.

The great thing about not using chemicals is that you know that the whole plant is safe to eat - potato skins (when most of the goodness is), carrots just scrubbed instead of peeled (as FSA guidelines)

Phil

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 23:08:13 »
Just going back to the broad bean question - how long is long enough to wait - I put mine in 4 weeks ago now and no sign of anything happening yet. Do I give up now or just bide my time in the hopes that they are up to something underground and i just can't see it yet ???

Grumpy Git

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 16:39:27 »
I've got my spuds in, but should I eath up now or wait until I get some growth?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 17:40:14 »
GG

Wait til you see the whites of their eyes, or in this case signs of the leaves breaking the ground.

That also gives the annual weeds time to start germinating, and you kill them off by earthing up - but you also bring more seeds to the surface!!

Phil

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2005, 18:46:49 »
Carrie - if you have enough, & are impatient - lift one & check?

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2005, 21:35:37 »
Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks Tim - I planted some spares at the end of the rows so I will have a little look at the weekend!

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2005, 21:55:12 »
Carrie,
           I put some broadbean seeds in at the beginning of March and one seedling has finally popped up today.

Mark

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal