Author Topic: Moving a gooseberry bush  (Read 1346 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Moving a gooseberry bush
« on: September 07, 2018, 11:29:23 »
I know it is the wrong time of year but I have (for reasons that I cannot control) to move a gooseberry bush ASAP, any advice?

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Moving a gooseberry bush
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:19:02 »
Give it a good soak before digging it out of the ground.  Get a good sized root ball.  Make sure the hole you are planting in is deep and has plenty of organic material at the bottom. Keep the bush at the same depth as it was before. Don't let it dry out between digging out and planting.  Give the plant a good watering and mulch.  I would also suggest a quick prune of crossing/straggley/old branches.  Then leave it well alone but water/soak if we get another dry period.

Good luck

Bill

P.S. organic material can include newspaper!!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 17:02:40 »
They are pretty tough old things - they seem to transplant really well but I can't offer any better advise then Biil..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 13:52:41 »
I've moved mine several times, the last time into buckets, and :) ave never lost any. Prune them back a bit and water well, that should work!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 17:46:43 »
Thank you all, I moved it yesterday and watered well it. Do I need to water it (and a cutting that came off it) again every day for a few days or should it be fine?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 22:43:38 »
I'd soak the transplanted Bush once a week for a few weeks, the cuttings I'd leave to their own devices, they will root anyway!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal