Author Topic: How many arms and legs?  (Read 4954 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
How many arms and legs?
« on: January 11, 2017, 17:24:35 »

I thought people might like to see one of my pink fir apple potatoes that I came across this morning, whilst sorting through them to remove the shoots that are beginning to show. All seven arms and legs are still firmly joined up!  These potatoes keep so well, and remain in good condition all winter, I love them!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: How many arms and legs?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 19:23:17 »
I love the taste but as you can't peel'em (I wouldn't fancy the skins in mash!) I only grow a few for Summer salads.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 20:46:24 »
That's interesting - I never peel them, just give them a quick scrub.  i rarely use them in the summer, preferring our early potatoes.  But during the winter, adding them to stews, or just having them boiled, with butter and garlic, they are like new potatoes, as they keep their firmness and their flavour completely.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:00 »
Instead of peeling them we tend to cook the "limbs" in the microwave then peel off the skin.
Normally I am happy with the skin on potatoes, but do find the skin on these  not so pleasant

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:57 »

I guess it must be the Dorset soil as ours once dug went into dance mode and the sun flowers clapped their pretty pettles..... :blob7:

........wash the soil off and split into wedges ..spray oil and oven cook for30 mins or so 200 degrees.....or till cooked through.,,,delish

Gazza

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 13:43:52 »

I guess it must be the Dorset soil as ours once dug went into dance mode and the sun flowers clapped their pretty pettles..... :blob7:

........wash the soil off and split into wedges ..spray oil and oven cook for30 mins or so 200 degrees.....or till cooked through.,,,delish

Gazza
indeed a little smoked paprika and garlic salt  im off to the kitchen now to make some for tea
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 16:27:15 »
Hello Gazza, how lovely to hear from you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal