Author Topic: Made a start to 2017  (Read 5546 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Made a start to 2017
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:59:24 »
Came out of hibernation long enough to prepare my hot bed for the forthcoming season as you can see here.

This is it after I took the polythene cover off as you can see there has been quite a bit of algae forming under the plastic sheet since I used the bed last season:

Scraped most of the algae off:

Watered the sand including adding a little bleach to the water to hopefully kill of any spores or pests.

Washed the plastic cover and put it back in place where it will remain until  around this time next year;

Switched on the power and put my thermometer on the surface to establish my settings,  the markings on the thermostat are quite unreliable so I will make adjustments over the next few days to get a temperature of around 65°-70°F (18°-21°C)

This is the fan heater that has been keeping my greenhouse at a minimum of 39°-40°F (4°C) over the winter       

I might sow a few seeds at the weekend!                   

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Made a start to 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 15:22:19 »
i Tee Gee
It looks like a Parwin heater such a shame they do not make them now. I had one for many many years they even sent me some spare parts so I could mend it my self when it started to wear out.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 15:35:40 »
mend it my self when it started to wear out.

I agree Laurie it was one of the reasons I bought the model.

I also bought their thermostat which is accurate to +/- 1° as opposed to the more common type which is usually +/- 5° although I never new if the ° was Fahrenheit or Celsius (Fahrenheit I would guess)

OK I paid a bit more for this but this accuracy has well and truly paid for itself over the years.

I do think I would be able to buy a compatible element  if needs be as I think most of these are of a pretty standard design. Length would be the critical thing I think!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 16:08:53 »
I'm still sitting on my hands may give the old electric thingy a clean  the weekend and then sit back on my hands until mid Feb having no power in my greenhouses i dint start too early as they go leggy indoors and having two sons yes two who are electricians I'm still waiting 8 years on for power in my greenhouses at home they dint have much trouble remembering where i live at xmas and birthdays  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 19:10:54 »
I'm still sitting on my hands may give the old electric thingy a clean  the weekend and then sit back on my hands until mid Feb having no power in my greenhouses i dint start too early as they go leggy indoors and having two sons yes two who are electricians I'm still waiting 8 years on for power in my greenhouses at home they dint have much trouble remembering where i live at xmas and birthdays  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
Have you written to ask them each to tender for the job?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 15:01:31 »
HI TeeGee.  Is your heated potting bench for helping germination or rooting cuttings or growing things - or all 3?

Just wondering if I'll need to work on OH for one when I get my new veggie plot and a polytunnel going.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 15:33:03 »
Germination, pricked out plants & cuttings mainly as you can see here:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 16:23:04 »
Thanks TeeGee.  You have a great setup.  Good luck for this coming season.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal