Author Topic: seed potatoes  (Read 5117 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
seed potatoes
« on: January 10, 2017, 14:31:23 »

The start of another year I the veg. world. Have just bought the seed potatoes for this year. I am trying the blight resistant Sarpo one for a trial, with our grand daughter keeping an eye o them they must be OK. The "expert" on local radio say it is much too early to start chitting but I have never run into any problem starting them as soon as I purchase them.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 15:02:26 »
I have never run into any problem starting them as soon as I purchase them.

I agree!

In fact I think it is the best way to store them until you are ready to plant them.

Provided conditions are dry, and not too warm I find this system OK.

In the past I have stored them in the dark in a paper bag but found that the chits grow a bit soft and leggy whereas by doing it the way above they are short stocky chits

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 16:49:34 »
Certainly I chit them straight away ... they do it by themselves even if you don't put them in eggboxes, so you might as well - it's better to stop them making silly long sprouts in the dark.

I'm doing Sarpo Mira again this year ... not just for the blight resistance, but also because they make amazing heavy crops of big potatoes.  Some people say they're floury and flavourless ... and they ARE floury ... but they make a cracking mash, roast or jacket and store well.

I've had a devil of a time trying to get hold of Harlequin again ... it seems they all got snapped up as soon as they came out ... only Sarah Raven has them in stock online and they're really pricey.  Worth it though ... I think they're amazing potatoes.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 21:19:20 »
I've ordered Pentland Javelin and have Spunta (Cyprus potatoes we used to call them when I was a lass :thumbsup:)

I start chitting them as soon as they arrive as well.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:32 »
All the GOM'S (Grumpy Old Men) at our allotment swear by Arran Pilot - so I will try a few this year along with "Sharp's Express" which I remember as a child, for sentimental reasons.

Will be buying at the weekend.  The Nursery I use has around 80 varieties - about 20 are first early so I should get something growable as a novice.

The ones I have seen in the other shops are chitting already - hmmm.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12:29 »
about 20 are first early so I should get something

If I can make a suggestion re-quantities!

May I suggest you go for 1st & 2nd earlies and  maincrop and this will give you an extended growing season.

I tend to go for 25% 1st Early (Either Rocket or Foremost) Then I go for an early 2nd Early (if that makes sense) I tend to use Charlotte, the next 25% is a late 2nd Early such as Kestrel. The final 25% I grow Pink Fir Apple.

What I find with this method is I do not get a glut, I always get that "just picked" taste due to lifting them as I need them and I am eating freshly picked potatoes from early July until the frosts and the maincrop well into the following spring.

As I said this is only a suggestion from a GOM  :happy7: :coffee2:

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 07:32:46 »
I've just ordered for the first time from simply seeds, very impressed with size and quality of the seed potatoes broad beans and onion sets, The proof is in the eating as they say. I've gone for a a whole season collection, http://www.simplyseed.co.uk/seed-potato-collections.html

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 23:29:15 »
I did mine in the garage last year, a bit dark and got white leggy chits but they did ok.

This year I bought them in dec, kept them in the dark in a cold garage so they didn't do much, just transferred them to trays under the bed. a bit of light and not too hot, see what happens this year

Dicky
http://dickysfarm.blogspot.co.uk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 23:37:59 by dicky »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal