Author Topic: Small parsnips  (Read 6833 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Small parsnips
« on: January 07, 2017, 21:00:15 »
My parsnips have been much smaller than usual this year. I have lots of them but very few large ones big enough for roasting. For the first time I grew Hollow Crown. Anyone had similar results with this variety?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Small parsnips
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 13:35:26 »
i normally grow hollow crown however the last few years ive had canker so i grew gladiator instead decent size roots and canker free
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 13:51:42 »
My snips are pretty small this year - they aren't hollow crown though and I put the size issue down to poor germination.  I filled in the gaps  and the later ones were over shadowed by the early ones..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 17:01:24 »
I always grow gladiator but I have noticed that they are a lot smaller than usual this time so not quite sure what is the matter 
Barnsley S Yorks

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 00:07:41 »
I'm in the East Midlands and grew Gladiator. If anything, mine were bigger than average this year. So it may be a local climate thing. I did have few small ones though. My own fault, as in places I did not thin them out sufficiently.

Cheers

Beersmith
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:15 »
Picked these yesterday

For guidance: the boards are around 4"-5" wide

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:07:33 »
My parsnips always grow too big and I end up chopping them into compost or giving them to fellow allotment holders who seem to have trouble growing them. I think the problem is that in the past I have set them too early i.e. March. This year I am going to set them no earlier than May in the hope that they will not reach these sizes. This year I am growing Lancer and Gladiator the latter being pelleted seeds and which last year I had almost 100% germination.

dicky

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 14:31:44 »
Mine are too, they went in a bit late but I still think they are behind. I put it down to the dry weather early in the season. Next I'll plant early and cover with glass/plastic until they germinate.

http://dickysfarm.blogspot.co.uk/

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 15:59:03 »
dug these today with my border spade as we might get some snow thought id dig them now for sunday

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:45:57 »
Like "plot22" by this time of year parsnips being too big rather than too small can be more of an issue.

I think a lot of this may be about thinning.

I grew two rows this year, both Gladiator. The first row germinated well, and was thinned. Also during the year I harvested at least every second parsnip as "baby veg" when about finger size. By late summer the remaining parsnips were spaced at least six inches apart, sometimes more. The typical result is shown in the attached photo with a tape measure for reference.

In the other row germination was poor, and very patchy. So I did little thinning and very little harvesting thinking it would not be needed. But I suspect that, unnoticed, more seedling must have germinated so actually this row ended up being rather crowded. My own fault, as I did not really keep a close eye on this row. Anyway, not a disaster as they are now at an edible size and will not go to waste - comparable to a medium carrot in size. I think this size may actually be preferable for many growers.

So in my humble opinion, thinning may be big a factor not just growing conditions.

Cheers

Beersmith
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:52:53 by Beersmith »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 12:55:42 »
Like "plot22" by this time of year parsnips being too big rather than too small can be more of an issue.

I think a lot of this may be about thinning.

I grew two rows this year, both Gladiator. The first row germinated well, and was thinned. Also during the year I harvested at least every second parsnip as "baby veg" when about finger size. By late summer the remaining parsnips were spaced at least six inches apart, sometimes more. The typical result is shown in the attached photo with a tape measure for reference.

In the other row germination was poor, and very patchy. So I did little thinning and very little harvesting thinking it would not be needed. But I suspect that, unnoticed, more seedling must have germinated so actually this row ended up being rather crowded. My own fault, as I did not really keep a close eye on this row. Anyway, not a disaster as they are now at an edible size and will not go to waste - comparable to a medium carrot in size. I think this size may actually be preferable for many growers.

So in my humble opinion, thinning may be big a factor not just growing conditions.

Cheers

Beersmith

i never thin my parsnips i plant one seed 2" apart and always get 100% germination   maybe im lucky but i put it down to our light sandy soil that warms quick in the spring

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 18:50:02 »
I tip my cap to you.  I'd love to be able to guarantee 100% parsnip germination. Mine are often rather hit or miss. Rarely a complete failure, but often patchy. No matter, sometimes fewer means a bit bigger.

Cheers

Beersmith

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 19:59:43 »
I tip my cap to you.  I'd love to be able to guarantee 100% parsnip germination. Mine are often rather hit or miss. Rarely a complete failure, but often patchy. No matter, sometimes fewer means a bit bigger.

Cheers

Beersmith

i always put warm water in the drill before sowing dint know if it helps just always done  i remember when i first moved here one of the plot holders told me you'll get nothing sowing like that  4 weeks later i called him over to see a well spaced straight line of half inch high parsnip seedlings he went away shaking his head in disbelieve

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal