Author Topic: How to expand peat pellets  (Read 2456 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
How to expand peat pellets
« on: January 20, 2017, 18:26:09 »
I've just received one of these as a freebie with seeds, but there are no instructions:
http://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Special+Offers/12+Cell+Tray+Kit_586015.htm#586015

Can anyone tell me how much water I should put in to expand the pellets, please?

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: How to expand peat pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 18:54:56 »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 20:53:45 »
All I would add is :
Stand to drain on old cake wire tray before you put into the plastic tray. Check they actually punched the drainage holes (along the lower sides). A stick biro tube is a good tool to deepen the centre hole, drop small seeds down, and use a similar biro with its hole cap in place just to firm the centre. Plantsmens wholesalers or commercial growers may be induced to "sell " you a hundred for a cheap price compared with yer Garden centre.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:59:05 »
Thanks, both of you. As I usually go peat-free, would you suggest any particular veg or flowers that would benefit from the peat?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 20:10:49 »
Rather than having as a character , nutritional benefits, its ability to hold and release upon demand ,water is what makes it suitable as a growing medium. Almost any green plant benefits, with ph adjustment.
The choice to use or not , peat, is yours but it is a "political correctiveness" regarding whether you should. Possibly we should be laying down green waste in such quantities and conditions as to recreate peat for future generations , rather than hauling materials such as coir half way around the world. The carbon cycle is the key to this discussion.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal