Author Topic: new plot  (Read 16509 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: new plot
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 15:25:12 »
i suppose thats one advantage of having a shorter growing season up north

Well No! I think we may have a higher rainfall than you do, so I can get away with no watering or just a little watering in really hot summers (what one of those I hear you ask  :happy7: )

In terms of the length of my growing season I think is subject to what I plant and how I plant e.g successional sowings/plantings for example.

Personally I think it is more down to the quality of the soil I have.

My soil is quite loamy / humus rich and I think that is down to the amount of manure I have put in it over the years.

The reason I say this is on a comment I received from the plot holder I swapped plots with a couple of years ago, when he got into digging my old plot he commented on how easy it was to dig, whereas the plot I took over from him was quite heavy and dead due to lacking humus.

Sadly since I made the exchange my old plot has not been cared for in the manner I did, meaning if Iwas to  let it, this could annoy me but as I said previously....each to their own!

Back to your bean trenches; another difference between you and me is the fact that I have gone off runner beans, I now prefer growing two or three smallish lots of fast growing climbing french beans which keeps me supplied throughout the whole season rather than just getting a one off bumper crop of say runner beans. I find that these grow without the need for trenching so at my time of life this can only be a good thing.

My surplus from each batch goes into the freezer for out of season use!

You say: different methods that make this site so rich and diverse I agree and this is one of the reason I go into the banter of comparing notes with you and the others, as it is the thing I miss most on our site, and that is no one seems to have the time to have a natter and put the world to right any more .

So hopefully  lads and lassies you will all carry on with the good work  into 2017 and make an old bugger like me happy!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2016, 16:45:58 »
What a very good idea Johhny  :icon_cheers:  yes indeed we are always learning and there are as many methods of doing things as there are gardeners  :sunny:  But this is a good method, not just for your very light soils.  We are on clay and in a relatively dry area of uk.  I often run out of stored water, so any help with water saving is always appreciated.   :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 16:57:16 »
i suppose thats one advantage of having a shorter growing season up north

Well No! I think we may have a higher rainfall than you do, so I can get away with no watering or just a little watering in really hot summers (what one of those I hear you ask  :happy7: )

In terms of the length of my growing season I think is subject to what I plant and how I plant e.g successional sowings/plantings for example.

Personally I think it is more down to the quality of the soil I have.

My soil is quite loamy / humus rich and I think that is down to the amount of manure I have put in it over the years.

The reason I say this is on a comment I received from the plot holder I swapped plots with a couple of years ago, when he got into digging my old plot he commented on how easy it was to dig, whereas the plot I took over from him was quite heavy and dead due to lacking humus.

Sadly since I made the exchange my old plot has not been cared for in the manner I did, meaning if Iwas to  let it, this could annoy me but as I said previously....each to their own!

Back to your bean trenches; another difference between you and me is the fact that I have gone off runner beans, I now prefer growing two or three smallish lots of fast growing climbing french beans which keeps me supplied throughout the whole season rather than just getting a one off bumper crop of say runner beans. I find that these grow without the need for trenching so at my time of life this can only be a good thing.

My surplus from each batch goes into the freezer for out of season use!

You say: different methods that make this site so rich and diverse I agree and this is one of the reason I go into the banter of comparing notes with you and the others, as it is the thing I miss most on our site, and that is no one seems to have the time to have a natter and put the world to right any more .

So hopefully  lads and lassies you will all carry on with the good work  into 2017 and make an old bugger like me happy!

im always up for the banter and i love it all the more knowing you have a smile on you face long may it continue i say
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal