Author Topic: Spicey Chicken With Minted Yogurt  (Read 3788 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Spicey Chicken With Minted Yogurt
« on: October 17, 2012, 21:20:22 »
Good Ol Hairy Bikers have concocted a tasty Spicey Low Cal Chicken recipe here ,try it and see what you think.

Ingredients

1 x Medium Chicken (skinned and spatchcocked)

FOR THE MARINADE

6 cardamom pods

2 tbsp cumin seeds

2 tbsp coriander seeds

4 whole cloves

1 tsp black peppercorns

1 tsp ground fenugreek

2 tsp ground turmeric

1 tbsp paprika

1-2 tsp hot chilli powder (the more you use, the spicier the dish)

¼ tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp flaked sea salt

4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

40g/1½oz piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated

100g/3½oz low-fat natural yoghurt

FOR THE MINTED YOGURT SAUCE

200g/7oz low-fat natural yoghurt

1 tsp ready-made mint sauce

1.To make the marinade, split the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Put the cardamom seeds in a dry non-stick frying pan and discard the husks. Add the cumin and coriander seeds, cloves and black peppercorns and place the pan over a medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly until the spices are lightly toasted – you know they’re ready when you can smell the spicy aroma

2.Tip the toasted spices into a pestle and mortar, or an electric spice grinder, and pound to a fine powder. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the fenugreek, turmeric, paprika, chilli powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the garlic, ginger and yoghurt, then mix well and leave to stand while you prepare the chicken.

3.Place the chicken on its breast on a sturdy chopping board and cut carefully either side of the backbone with good scissors or poultry shears. Chuck out the bone and cut off the foot joints and wing tips.

4.Strip all the skin off the bird apart from the ends of the wings (which are easier to remove after cooking). You’ll find this simpler to do if you snip the membrane between the skin and the chicken flesh as you go. Cut off and discard any obvious fat – it will be a creamy white colour. Open out the chicken and place it on the board so the breast side is facing upwards.

5.Press down heavily with the palms of your hands to break the breastbone and flatten the chicken as evenly as possible. This will help it cook more quickly. Slash the meat with a knife through the thickest parts of the legs and breast. Place the chicken in a shallow non-metallic dish – a lasagne dish is ideal – and tuck in the legs and wings.

6.Spoon over the marinade and really massage it into the chicken on both sides, ensuring that every bit of bird is well coated – get your hands in there and really go for it. Cover the dish with cling film and put the chicken in the fridge to marinate for at least four hours or ideally overnight.

7.Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Take the chicken out of the dish and place it on a rack inside a large baking tray, breast-side up. Squeeze over some juice from the lime and season with ground black pepper.

8.Roast for 45-50 minutes until the chicken is lightly browned and cooked throughout, tossing the lime quarters on to the rack for the last 20 minutes to cook alongside the chicken. They’ll be good for squeezing over the meat later. The juices should run clear when the thickest part of one of the thighs is pierced with a skewer. Cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.

9.While the chicken is resting, make the sauce. Spoon the yoghurt into a serving bowl and stir in the mint sauce until thoroughly combined.

Add a quick side salad of Chopped Red Onion and Tomatoes with Fresh Coriander

The Spicey Chcken  is complemented with the minty dip and
salad and without all that lovely crispy skin...shame.!!!!!!

The Chicken eats nice cold too !!!

Enjoy

Gazza

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Spicey Chicken With Minted Yogurt
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:48:20 »
It looks very tasty! Rather than adding ready made mint sauce to your yoghurt you could try adding grated (drained) cucumber, finely chopped up mint leaves, a finely chopped green chilli (minus the seeds) and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I sprinkle on paprika and miss out the salt. We love this raita and eat it as a side dish with lots of things.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:45 »
Yes,I only did the mint sauce as per the hairys recipe.....it was tasty and we both enjoyed it ,but you hit the nail.

A tasty Raita is so persitile.

Our fav combination is a mixed one that contains Asian and Mediterranean influences
its lovely with plain Barby /Grilled  meats as all the flavours are in the Raita due to its fresh contents

1 large pot of Low Fat thick Greek Yogurt
1/2 red onion finely chopped
few cherry tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 medium cue,seeded skinned chopped and drained
1 green chilli chopped(red if you prefer the odd kick)
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp chopped mint
1/2 tsp of roasted cumin seeds then ground.
1 grated carrot
30g Black olives chopped
sweet Paprika to taste
salt to taste

when in season (in other words in tesco 24/7 ) slice some Papaya in the bowl and put the Raita over it......yum.

If you like experimenting as I do then try Quark as it has a milder flavor and richer texture than lowfat yogurt.
Although it is slightly more sour to the tastebuds and being a curd cheese it seems to go well with the above bits and bobs.

Try it  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:42 »
This dish has become a regular fixture here since we've been on the post holiday diet.  7 kilos gone so far and not a trial given food like this.  Their other chicken curry dish is good too - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_korma_16352 and works well with boned chicken thighs - cheaper and tastier than breast.
Obxx - Vendée France

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:59:47 »
Thankx  Obbelix,Its good to read somebody else had tried their diet recipes and that you enjoy them....Jude is a "Korma" fan itll certainly be getting a bash in our household too.

I luv Thighs........oooooer mrs......I mean bone in Thighs as a mate used to bring his Indian mums curries to work and they always by tradition had the bone in as it added extra flavour ......fiddly to eat though....so im with you on removing them.

Gazza

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:28:26 »
I buy them ready boned and skinned at about €3 or€4 for 6 and only occasionally see them bone in.

Either way, still tastier and cheaper than breast.   Hairy Biker's low fat chilli is good too and has become a dieting staple along with steamed or baked cod or salmon and roast Mediterranean or root veggies with just a spoonful of olive oil and lots of spices or herbs.

I've found a fairly low calorie but yummy chocolate cake for weekend treats - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2053648/sunken-drunken-chocolate-cake 
Obxx - Vendée France

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:55 »
Not being a successful cake maker,I wil take your word how scrummy it is,but then again being a type 2 Diabolic I guess anything low cal should get the
thumbs up,the only negative is I do enjoy sweet marsala wine so you do realise that after baking this recipe I will be sitting in a chair all a glow from its warming alcofrolic  taste this winter,whilst Jude stuffs her face on the cake itself...... :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Gazza

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:36:42 »
I reckon you could try using zylitol instead of sugar.  I will as soon as I find some.

I used all ground almonds and no flour so it has a higher GI index and no gluten and it was very good.  I make a cake every Monday from October to the end of June for a group of scientists to whom I teach English and they loved it.    Just need to work through all the other low cal cakes on the Good Food site.
Obxx - Vendée France

Saverd_53

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:10:08 »
This seems to be a delightful chicken recipe. Last month, I came across Nom Food Community which is providing information on different recipes. Prepared couple of them for my husband and he really liked those recipes very much.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal